Thread: LOOPING MOTION menu

Default LOOPING MOTION menu

Hope this is the right forum to ask this
    I saw a very nice looping motion background for a DVD menu (think it was done on an Apple with studio pro so as I us a P.C rules studio pro out ) where photos could be inserted in frames of different sizes and slide past at an angle like a train passing bevelled edges reflections ect it would be all but impossible to do in vegas editor does and know of a software package that would achieve this
    Madden

Quote Originally Posted by Madden View Post
    Hope this is the right forum to ask this:

I saw a very nice looping motion background for a DVD menu (think it was done on an Apple with studio pro so as I us a P.C rules studio pro out ) where photos could be inserted in frames of different sizes and slide past at an angle like a train passing bevelled edges reflections ect.

it would be all but impossible to do in vegas editor does and know of a software package that would achieve this
    Madden
    Vegas could do this nicely! I'd even say easily! But its still not very clear what you want to achieve. Yoiu seem to be asking about creating a looping menu and a photo slideshow.

Can you clarify!

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark View Post
    Vegas could do this nicely! I'd even say easily! But its still not very clear what you want to achieve. Yoiu seem to be asking about creating a looping menu and a photo slideshow.

Can you clarify!
    OK Mark i will try and explain what I am trying to achieve. I want to make a clip scene whatever you like to call it to be used as a background with DVDA it is to have up to 10 photographs that loop endlessly running from right to left across the screen at an angle of about 45 degrees looking as if they are passing by and moving into the distance they should have the appearance of moving across a reflective surface like a polished floor (NOT A FULL REFLECTION) I can get some of the effect with Vegas (cant figure out how to have a part reflection of each photo or how to join the photos so they keep looping seamlessly hope this explains a bit better
    Thomas

do the edit in Vegas, then render the project to AVI, bring back onto the time line, CUT In the middle of the clip (Music as well if any), then move the left clip to the right of the right clip and do a small Xfade , so the end of the right clip fades into the beginning of the left clip, then render as MPEG, right click drop into DVD_A and select as background media and it should loop.

The big problem is most DVDs will not play the loop seamlessly and there will be a break as it starts again

Thanks Cheema
    I have tried that but was not happy with the results do you or anyone on the forum know of editing software that is used for putting photographs on DVD or CD that might achieve this as I am only using stills and not moving images
    Thomas

Its not a case of findong software to do this. You are looking for a very specific effect that you need to create.

As Both Cheema and I have said You can do this in Vegas but it is a little complex and requiers patience to do it. Anything in Video & DVD thats has a creative look to it requiers patience. Its part of the process. The Best application for these kind of things is After Effects. I create all my DD backgrounds in AFX as its a better compositing tool.

Here is how I would approach it:

1). Prepare all your photos (ideally you should use photo shop to resize them to the height you want them so that the resolution is not too high for video - it will make it easier for the edit package to handle the files).

2). Import the files on to your timeline and edit them into the order you require.

3). Now Using the "Track Motion Tool" resize the entire video Track so that you will be able to fit a reflection underneath it.

4). Duplicate that Video track.

5). With the lover track, (the original track/ the one that sits underneath the new one in the timeline) apply a Mask to mimic the reflection.

6). Create a new Video Track above these two tracks.

7). Parent our 2 Photo Tracks into this new track.

9). Using the Parent Track motion of the Parent Track rotate it to the 45ish degree angle you want.

10) Tweak to perfect.

11). Render out as MPEG2.

Now things to consider: A looping track as Cheema said does not always loop smoothly in all DVD players so its worth your while fading in and out of the loop at the start and finish of it.

If you are gonna have music with the loop you should make the loop at least 2 minutes long as repeditive music is just annoying for a viewer to listen to.

As you can see it IS possible but like i said it requiers patience to achieve this. Anything that requiers compositng does. Its putting in the effort that sees you getting the best results. There may well be some software out there that does this for you but we are unaware of it and its probably crap anyway.
    Last edited by irishmark; 06-21-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Great answer mark.

the 'art' is in step 10 though methinks.

There is a VEG out there that does tiltels reflected on water, I am gussing a bit of a tweaka nd phots could be done.
    look on the VASST site for the file.

Sorry to butt in so late in the game, and great advice up top first of all.

Madden, I'm almost positive that the piece of software you saw in action was called Pulp Motion. It is exclusively for mac users and is the one-stop-shop for creating slide shows using images. I've seen a few shows people have produced (search youtube) and the templates include some of the looping backgrounds with 3d effects and motion that you mentioned. I'm pretty sure there's a free trial out there somewhere.

Hope this helps - and good luck with your show!