Thread: Looking for a mic

Default Looking for a mic

I was doing a long shoot today and I was unsatisfied with the sound quality of it. The wind was a problem for one, and the voices were just not loud enough. I have a Sony DCR-SR200 and I'm looking for an external mic that fits onto the Active Interlace Shoe in the 100-200 US dollar range. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Not sure what a 'active interlace hot shoe' is... I would check that my suggestion fits, I suspect it is a standard 'shoe' and should be fine.

At the price point you suggest, or just over, the usual reccomendation is the sennheiser 300, a short shotgun directional mic.

I havent personally used it but it is widely liked. My suggestion is to avoid the cheaper rode as the build quality and performance is definitely not so good.

hmmm, so it definately is a good idea to go for the more expensive ones? Suppose I upped the price range to 300 or 400, what can i try to get?

EDIT: also, I read a review on the sennheiser 300 and it supposedly has a built-in battery that lasts for 200 hours. This is recharable and/or replaceable, is it not?
    Last edited by a man of exquisite girth; 06-17-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes replaceable.

IN pounds english the (correction) senheisser is around 130 on e bay.
    Last edited by Mark W; 06-19-2007 at 01:26 AM.

I'm pretty certan that your camera does not have a standard external mic input jack.

Five New Camcorders Strengthen Sonys HDD Presence - Sony

I believe that you are stuck with using a Sony-made mic that connects via its proprietory hot shoe connection. Sony do several models, and reviews on them are mixed. Given that Sony's hot-shoes are patented, I suspect that that no third-party compatible products are available.

Don't waste your money on a third-party mic until you are sure you can connect it.

Witty signature text coming soon...

Hi

I've got the same problem, I'm having problems with unwanted background noise on my sony HDR-SR1E. I've just checked the manual and it does have an ordinary mic jack as well as the 'shoe' so its worth checking.

Cheers

nick

I've been looking into this and I'm staggered at how hard it is to get any usefull information out of Sony. They do do an adapter by which you can attach mic etc to a camera via the tripod connector. Now this is the bit sony are unable, or unwilling, to tell me, I cannot find out if the adaptor will fit most third party add ons. Not knowing a great deal about such things I can't tell if this adaptor would allow me to use the sennheiser 300 or not. Sony's active interface shoe supplies power to the attachments where as this adapter does not so it must be for third party equipment. My question is do mics come with a standard attachment and does it look like this would fit it?
    Sony : VCT-S30L (VCTS30L) : United Kingdom

Good news, the attachment I mentioned in the post above allows you to fit a third party mic to a handycam. I recieved mine a few days ago and have now got a sennheiser 300 fitted, which I'm glad to say cost me 100 brand spanking new with the postage! The adapter fits into the tripod mount, the tripod shoe can then be fitted to the adapter so you can still use the three legged thing. The good thing is that you still have the shoe on top for a light! The down side is the fitting of the attachment weakens the tripod fitting so you've got to be carefull. All in all I'm pleased.

Blog Entries

Let us know how the mic performs - I am thinkning of getting one for my small cam.

Hi Mark,

Well I'm no expert in these things but so far the mic has performed very well, picking out the subject very easily against background noise. The first test I gave it was on the beach in windy conditions and it picked my very quitely talking children up a treat.

Nick