Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow motion

Default Slow motion

Hi,

When I try to slow down some clips I get a message saying, for example,

'The clip length should be less than or equal to 00:00:04.28 and the speed rate should be larger than or equal to 90.'

I have slowed some clips with no problem, but others I get this kind of message.

Does anyone know why?

CK

When I try to slow down some clips I get a message saying, for example,

'The clip length should be less than or equal to 00:00:04.28 and the speed rate should be larger than or equal to 90.'
    This error occurs when there is insufficient space on the timeline to adjust the clip to the required length. In the example you have provided there is obviously anoher clip at 04:28 on your timeline. The figures in the error will vary dependent upon what is next in the timeline. The first figure refers to the maximum amount of time you can apply to the clip (remember that slowing a clip increases its duration). The second figure refers to the percentage figure you can apply to slow the clip down by.

Obviously if you have no other clips to the right of the one you are slowing down, then you will never receive the error.

The fix to your problem is to move the offending clips further along the timeline, or delete them.

Enjoy!

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Yes! that works with no problems! Thanks again!

My next question is:

Is it possible to slow a clip in the middle?

For example, I want to have a clip play at regular speed at the start, then slow the middle of the clip by 50%, and then return the clip to regular speed toward the end.

Can I do this in Mediastudio 7?

Thanks

CK

Yes you can have variable speed within a clip in Mediastudio.

1. Select clip and right cick and select Speed from the menu

2. In the Speed dialogue box click the 'Variable' radio button.

3. On the 'Preview' part of the speed dialog, use the Jog Shuttle bar and the 'Add Key Frame' button to add as many key frames as you need.

4. Click on each key frame then change the 'percentage' value on the left hand side of the dialog box. Repeat this for each key frame.

5. Click OK

6. Enjoy

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc

Excellent! Now I'm having fun!

CK

I am pleased that you are now having fun.

I am also pleased that you have posted back. This is important so that other readers of the thread know that the problem is resolved!

Well done ConfusedKid

Hi,

I have edited 2 clips successfully using variable speed but now when I try to slow a clip in the middle the part I want to slow does slow down but also becomes very jerky - any reason why?

I am trying to go from 100% speed to 20% then straight back to 100%.

Thanks

CK

It shouldn't be jerky.

It would be worth checking your preview settings.

1. Set a Preview range over your slow motion clip

2. Ensure in the Preview Window that the 'Instant Play' button IS NOT depressed

3. On the Preview Window click the 'Play Preview Range' button

4. Wait for the movie to render and watch preview range

5. Problem resolved?

6. If answer to 5 is Yes then enjoy

7. If answer to 5 in No then please post back.

I checked the preview settings and they were ok.

Here's what I am doing:

1. I click the variable radio button

2. I use the jog bar to find the frame I want to start slow motion from.

3. I then press the 'add key frame' button (far left button above the jog bar) to add this frame.

4. I then add the next frame by clicking on the right arrow button of the jog bar, and then the 'add key frame' button. I keep repeating this.

5. When I have added all the frames I move the jog bar back to the first selected frame (a red diamond now appears in the black selected frames to help navigate).

6. I then change the speed in the variable box from 100 to 20. Then I click on the right arrow button of the jog bar to move to the next frame and change the speed for that frame, continuing until I have changed all the selected frames.

Then when I try to play it back I can see the selected frames jerking while it is rendering as well as during playback. The red diamond I mentioned before does not run smoothly through the slected frames, rather it jumps slightly backward at each frame.

Another thing that happens when I try to use the variable speed option is that the speed of the clip changes outside the selected frames. I am trying to slow dow frames 00:00:02.05 to 00:00:3.05 from 100% to 20%. But after I do this the 'speed' box percentage automatically drops to 82% from the start of the clip until 00:00:02.05 without me touching that box.

Thanks,
    CK

Try as I might, I simply cannot replicate this problem. Every time I try it it works just fine. Here are the steps I took to slow down a clip (to 20% of original) between 00:00:02.05 to 00:00:3.05. For info I was using a 5 second clip,

1. Select the clip and open the speed dialog box.

2. Click the 'Variable' button

3. Set a 'Key Frame' at 00:00:02:04 (ie the frame before where you want to reduce the speed)

4. Set a Key Frame at 00:00:02:05

5. Set a Key frame at 00:00:03:05

6. Set a Key Frame at 00:00:03:06

Please note that at this stage ALL Key Frames are set to 100%

7. Select the Key frame at 00:00:02:05 and change the percentage value to 20

8. Select the Key Frame at 00:00:03:05 and change the percentage value to 20

9. Click the OK button

10. Watch your clip in the Preview Window

11. Enjoy

You don't have to worry about the percentage value in the 'speed box' as all that is happening is Mediastudio is calculating the overall (or average) speed of the clip.

Please try this and post back to let us know how you got on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast