Thread: first camcorder

Default first camcorder

On Wednesday, I graduated from 6th grade. As a present, my mom gave me a Fry's gift card for $200. I want to buy my first camcorder, but I don't know what to get. I don't really know much about them. I did a little research, but don't know what. I am planning to spend a little of my money to add to the cost, but I still need a pretty cheap one, under about $250.

I was planning on getting either a Sony DCR-HC48 or a Sony DCR-HC38or a Sony DCR-HC32 which my school got but they had some problems with the sound. Sometimes it would show up, sometimes it wouldn't. I don't know if that was the problem with USB import, the actual microphone, all camcorders like it, or just that one camera.

I sort of want a Sony camera because it has "super nightshot" which is an infrared camera with an infrared light on the end. Which one?

EDIT: I also want it to be firewire compatible. I would prefer a Hard drive camera, but those are more expensive, are there problems with MINI-DV?
    Last edited by etharooni; 06-17-2007 at 03:51 AM.
    -Ethan

Ethan, trust me, you WANT MiniDV over HDD.

I've added you to my Skype contact list, we can talk later and I'll try to make it as clear as possible for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    Ethan, trust me, you WANT MiniDV over HDD.
    first of all, I don't really want to talk to anybody on skype, I probably should not have put that in my videoforums profile, but however I am interested why MiniDV is better.
    -Ethan

Excuse me for trying to be nice.

MiniDV basically means higher quality over solid-state or DVD camcorders and easier editing. Check the site FAQ for in-depth explanations.

I got it today!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really excited about it. I got a DCR-HC38 because of the price and amount of features but I didn't think about it not coming with a firewire cable. I would have gotten that too, but I thought it would come with one. It has a USB jack as well, but it doesn't do video with USB, just still pictures. I have already played with it a bunch, but I really want to get it into After Effects ( which I recently got as well) and Vegas.
    -Ethan