Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing Skills

Smile Amazing Skills

Just finished making this new video... for some reason the pixels go a little funny during transitios =S probably jsut because of the file type i rendered it too... or youtube i dno... but check it out at this link

all comments are appreciated and will be returned!!!!!

and comment on the youtube video aswell as here if you got a minute cheers!

Blog Entries

Firstly the camerwork is very bad.

The shot should either be level or deliberately slanted. The "not quite level" shots just look tacky. The composition also leaves a lot to be desired. A very large number of shots had the head cut off... very poor. On the moving shots the same happened, the head was let go out of frame, this is poor basic camerawork and shouldn't happen.

The editing had nothing to do with the music. The cuts weren't synced to the rhythm of the music at all. In the same way the pacing of the shots clashed with the music, when the beat slowed down, nothing happened to the speed of the cutting or the images.

The effects were unnecessary and out of sync with the music.

But the camerawork really needs to be sorted. Sorry for all the negative criticism but all-in-all a poor video.

yer it was done on a phone... and the head shots arent meant to be in... its a football video, so only the legs need to be in

thanks for the comment tho...

Blog Entries

I just tried to make a phone call with my camera - it didnt work.

Camera phones are great for unexpected helicopter crashes but rubbish for everything else.

You need the right tool for the right job - DV cameras can be had for <100 on e bay.

Deano,

That's a fair point about the camera. You obviously enjoy editing - it shows in all the tricks and twists in your video (and I'm not just talking about the football.

Get yourself a cheap miniDV camera. Not only will it be better image quality, but editing will be easier too.

Everyone's first few videos were shite - hell, most of mine still are! Don't be put off by a few well-meant reviews.

The comment about the music was fair too - there was nothing wrong with the song - it just didn't suit this subject. Sometimes I have heard a song and thought, "I'd love to make a video for that song". It sometimes pays off, but you have to be honest with yourself as to whether the style, tempo and lyrics suit the subject.

If you are feeling brave, why don't you consider joining a camcorder/movie making club. I did a few years back, and have learnt so much and really enjoy it. You get the chance to bounce ideas off people who share the same interest. My videos have come on leaps and bounds since I did.

Look up a club here: Club Listing by Regions

Many clubs are in Summer recess now, but that needn't prevent you from contacting club secretaries. And believe me, any club will welcome new, younger members with open arms.

Witty signature text coming soon...

thanks for the comment bert! and mark... i might think about getting a proper camera... i know the quality will be much better than phone... thanks for the hoenst reviews! and yer i think your right about the music, and the everything else lol

Hey... the video quality wasn't that bad for a camera phone... but the rest was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I just tried to make a phone call with my camera - it didnt work.
    Wow - great point, LOL!

Just wanted to add one thing - changing your intro sig is going to go a long way towards adding a level of polish to your videos. There are plenty of threads in this forum dedicated to feedback on intros, check them out, and keep making movies!

OK. I think the point about not using a phone camera is made now as is a bundle of comments about the editting itself.

There are a lot of rather cheesey effects and transitions going in there that just don't work. At least they don't to the regulars of this forum.

Also, and the main point I want to make, is that the video could have been a lot better if the editor had been a lot more ruthless. Less is defintialy more in this game. There were a lot of tricks repeated. At 3.5 minutes it;s just too long for the amoutn of content shown. A minute and ahalf would be more than enough imo.

Having said that, I did like a lot of the skills and was impressed.

The more I see this thread develop the more I want to add what I wanted to say at the outset.

This video is crying out for a story.

The lad is clearly good with a football. What are his ambitions? Does he dream of being a professional footballer one day? What an opportunity you have of making a great little film about him. Tell us his story. Let's see him doing more. Playing football normally. Training. Eating breakfast. Lets hear what his ambitions are, who his heros are, how long he's been kicking a ball for, who he's learnt his tricks from.

If some of his tricks are copied from real footballers, how about cutting in some real match footage of the likes of Ronaldinho pulling off the same stuff? Let's hear him speak - do an interview with him and lay the audio over the footage.

Experiment with different camera angles. Could he hold the camera whilst doing keep-ups, so that we have a POV (point of view) shot looking down onto the ball? It may not work, but it's worth a go.

You could even try taping the phone to the ball to get a POV from the balls perspective. This may not work either, but at least it's worth a go. Obviously, he should refrain from kicking it too hard!

Someone touched on intros. My philosophy is to keep intros and signatures simple. Overdressing a video can be distracting.

Witty signature text coming soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast