Thread: filters for HDR-FX1

Default filters for HDR-FX1

Can somebody please tell me what the best filters are for a Sony HDR-FX1? The polarizing filter kit from Sony, which includes a protector lens costs $159.99. I've seen them for $5 all the way up over $100, so I don't know which is the best to get.

Can anyone recommend another filter besides the polarizing and protector lens? I will be working indoors and outdoors doing a project based on a reality tv show.

Thanks

I would imagine any filter with the right screw fit would be more than ok. I can't remember the screen size off hand even though I should know as I have the same camera :(

Or are you really asking if we think brand X filters are better with the FX1 than brand Y? If so I have no real preference as I certainly never compared the same filter across brands.

Sorry I can't be more help.

What do you need the filters for ?
    The polarizing filter will reduce the light getting to your CCDs by a stop or two but is only good for darkening a blue sky and reducing reflections from glass. The UV filter is good for nothing except collecting dust, and reducing the resolution of your HD images. The big hood on the FX1 should be enough protection for the lens.
    On the other hand, if you're keen on optical effects, get something like a Cokin filter set from Jessops or somewhere similar. This consists of a holder that screws into the lens instead of the lens hood and has its own hood along with a number of slots for rotating filters (e.g. startburst, polariser) and square filters (graduated, tobacco, soft focus etc.). I had one for twenty years and only used it about three times.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    The polarizing filter will reduce the light getting to your CCDs by a stop or two but is only good for darkening a blue sky and reducing reflections from glass..
    Exactly! Have you ever tried removing those reflections in 'post'? Adding some can be fun but removing them....

Also handy for video is a nuetral density filter (that just blocks light) so that you can control exposure better on occasion and gain (or more appropriately) lose depth of field.

I know the camera has ND control but these filters are a handy addition to your kit for the odd occassion they are actually useful.

My experience of such things is that, yes, you will use them very rarely but the first time they are actually useful then they pay for themselves right there.

For me there is a lot of 'historical junk' around like sepia and colour toning filters that you're just better off doing in Phjotoshop of After Effects nowdays but there are a few that are just worth having.

Just my 2p.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 06-15-2007 at 11:30 AM.