Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Laptop / Camera: Touring Band

Question Buying Laptop / Camera: Touring Band

Hey, I am new to these forums and am actually buying a laptop and a camcorder for a band that will be touring around the US this summer. Right now, all the guys need is decent image quality, and a laptop that can edit the video so we can upload tour blogs to youtube, myspace, etc.

Our price range is about $1100 for the laptop and $500 for the camera.

Right now we are looking at this camera, the JVC GZ-MG130 Digital Camcorder.

Below are the specs for a laptop we are looking at. Do you have any recommendations or see any areas that may be lacking for our purpose? Thanks a lot for your help. Really appreciate it

DISPLAY LCD: 15.4" Glare WXGA TFT LCD Display Max: 1280x800 Pixels
    CPU: Mobile AMD Turion™64 MT-34 CPU @ 1.8GHz 1MB Cache Ultra Low Voltage 25Watt w/HyperTransport Technology
    MOTHERBOARD: VIA K8T890 + VT8237R Chipset Mainboard
    MEMORY: 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    VIDEO CARD: ATI Mobility Radeon X700 Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) 128MB VRAM Video
    HARD DRIVE: 80GB 7200RPM ULTRA ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
    OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE
    SOUND: BUILT-IN AC 97 SOUND

Ninja

DISPLAY LCD: 15.4" Glare WXGA TFT LCD Display Max: 1280x800 Pixels
    ** 15.4 inches is a very small screen to try and edit on IMHO**
    CPU: Mobile AMD Turion™64 MT-34 CPU @ 1.8GHz 1MB Cache Ultra Low Voltage 25Watt w/HyperTransport Technology
    ** I never did editing using a 1.8Ghz chip, I hope you have a lot of free time and patience to wait on the computer to carry out tasks. Is a Turion the slowest chip that AMD make?**
    MOTHERBOARD: VIA K8T890 + VT8237R Chipset Mainboard
    MEMORY: 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    ** 1GB is fine for editing but have 1.5 or 2GB is better **
    VIDEO CARD: ATI Mobility Radeon X700 Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) 128MB VRAM Video
    HARD DRIVE: 80GB 7200RPM ULTRA ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
    ** Unless you are planning on transferring video to another larger hard disk at regular intervals that 80GB will disappear quickly - video takes up massive space on the hard disk and laptops just don't have it **
    OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE
    SOUND: BUILT-IN AC 97 SOUND

Does it have a Firewire socket? If not get one fitted and forget about using USB, it doesn't have the picture quality. Yes, I know you only want to upload onto the net but what if you want to make DVD's later on. It's better to start with the highest quality pictures and then reduce then in quality rather than the other way around.

ohh okay, so you mean on the PC, correct? the camcorder is fine? Yes, I can get it fitted w/ a firewire socket. also, would you reccomend one of intel's core duo processors over that turion?

Your choice of camcorder is fine, as long as it has DV out to allow you to capture to a computer using Firewire, either a laptop or desktop (maybe to make a DVD of the band's exploits later on), a microphone socket is good, don't rely on the camcorders built in one, a reasonable optical zoom, don't be impressed by digital zooms, they only magnify the pixels in the image making it look very blocky. An onboard light is fine for close up interviews and nothing else. A tripod would be handy, it can turn amateur hand held shaky shots into professional looking footage in an instant. Yeah, I probably would go for the Dual Core over the Turion, a lot of editing software packages work better with Intels that AMD's (I'll probably get an earful for saying that lol). A few accessories for going on the road would also be useful, a good padded bag (nothing over the top to draw attention to yourself), again the tripod, a few extra batteries, a second battery charger, lens tissues and a clean rag to wipe dust, dirt, sweat from your hands and rain drops etc off the body of the camcorder.

So how do i tell if it has dv out? i know it has a USB for transferring to a PC. I thought that the hard drive took care of the issue of transfer... like from a tape. I am not sure if the camera has a firewire output, oh well. So what does that mean? (btw i got the dual core PC.. 2 gigs ram, 256 mb vid card)

and this was the info i could find on the camera
    • Hybrid Cameras can record video and stills on the SD Memory Card and HDD
    • 1/6-inch 680k pixel CCD
    • 34x Optical Zoom / 800x Digital Zoom
    • 30GB Internal Hard Disk Drive for up to 37 hr. 30 min. of recording
    • 7 hr. 10 min. of the best quality recording (ULTRA FINE)
    • Memory Card Slot for SDHC/SD
    • Digital Still images 640 x 480
    • Remote Control provided
    • Software provided (for Windows)
    • Gigabrid Engine
    • 2.7inch 16:9 Widescreen Clear LCD Monitor
    • Stick Control for easy operation
    • Auto Illumi. Light
    • Data Battery
    • Quick Restart
    • Direct DVD Button/Direct Backup Button
    • USB2.0 High-Speed Transfer

Forget about that camcorder, it's going to save your video information as highly compressed mpeg video on the hard drive. Then your going to put it across to your laptop and have more trouble editing it and preparing it for edt.

Look at a Panasonic PV-GS320, you can get it for under 500$, it uses a much higher quality compresion mini dv tape and has 3ccd's for a far superior picture quality.

It is by far a superior camera.

The best thing that consumer dvd and harddrive camcorders have done for the video market is to have forced a reduction in price on mini dv tape camera's. To the avarage buyer dvd and hdd is the latest thing so must be the best.

To a holiday maker taking some footage to show mates they are great, if you want to edit stuff up and do anything else with it, at this price level they aren't really.

It has firewire too, it's the standard for transfering the dv compression.

David.

Why do you want to use a solid-state camcorder?

Blog Entries

Short answer from me -

Get a dv camera, HD cams record poorer quality data.

Get the fastet laptop you can - core duo or amd dual core is a must have.

Thanks a lot, your help has been invaluable. I receive other camera i ordered tomorrow, but I can return it and purchase an alternative. I am trying to go to a store to look at the Panasonic PV-GS320 that you mentioned above. Are there any other good quality cameras I should consider in the $500 and under price range??

jon

Enter the specific section of the forum where your thread is supposed to be located and click 'new' in the top left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast