Thread: More advice on best equipment for low-budget music videos?

Default More advice on best equipment for low-budget music videos?

Mihai gave a good answer to my question: "I have 5,000 to spend PC/Video equipment for low-buget music videos", but I need some other responses

I said I try to go higher to a maximum limit of 10,000 but I can't OWN EVERYTHING BRAND NEW that I want, so I'm prepared to rent or buy second-hand.

I was suprised he recommended a PC over IMac, I was always told that Apple IMacs with FireWire were the way to go. My PC doesn't have a Firewire connections, but I know you can buy them on PCI cards. What about the programs? I heard that Final Cut Pro was the best for on Imacs. But is Adobe Premiere was good for PCs? Is Adobe Premiere as good as Final Cut Pro? And how much is a "quad-core" computer? I didn't even know what that is!

I know that "Two good monitors", means two good CRT TVs? The lights, mics, tripods could be rented depending on cost.

But I would appreciate it if you could tell me what YOU'D buy if you only had 5,000 or 10,000!

I see this as much as a business question, as a technical one.

Both 5k and 10k are a big investment. I assume that this is not just going to be a hobby? Are you hoping to derive an income from making videos?

I am a hobbiest, not someone who pays his mortgage by making films. There are, however, plenty of guys in these forums that do. I think they will need to see the bigger picture to best advise you.

Would you mind sharing your filmmaking background and plans a little more?

Witty signature text coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    I see this as much as a business question, as a technical one.

Both 5k and 10k are a big investment. I assume that this is not just going to be a hobby? Are you hoping to derive an income from making videos?

I am a hobbiest, not someone who pays his mortgage by making films. There are, however, plenty of guys in these forums that do. I think they will need to see the bigger picture to best advise you.

Would you mind sharing your filmmaking background and plans a little more?

Well, I'm trying to use low-budget promos and shorts as a way of building a portfolio to produce more expensive music videos and commercials. My ultimate goal is to make feature films. In the UK, we have cable TV channels such as Channel U which have low-budget music videos.

With up to 10,000 I should be able to buy enough equipment to start filming local bands. Other equipment I can rent and I know someone that can advise me. But I always need more help and advice.

If you tell me who can help I would appreciate it.

Low budget?....do you mean the music acts are low budget?...there's some rubbish out there...or do you mean you want the vid to look low budget?...either way....even with the budget you are talking about....if you don't have the creative ability, your vid will look low budget....even you double your spend on kit....no creativity = low budget look...basically I think if you have 1000 of kit you can make a winning vid if you are creative, have a good eye (and ear, after all its music...lol) and know how to get the best out of the limited resources and kit you have.....50k of equipment may impress the bands and their hangers on...but its the finished product that matters....

I played in bands for years, I'm a guitar player....I have a very expensive guitar...and a cheap one....no matter what I do....my playing or sound doesnt really improve using either....but I have a friend who is a top class musician....and he can even make the cheap one sing....like I said....its not what you've got....its how you use it

good luck

I agree totally with torby, it doesn't matter how much of a budget you have, it's the creative element that counts the most as this is what your audience will see on screen. Look at all the movies that have been made with multimillion dollar budgets only to flop at the box office. If the script is weak, or there's bad acting or a terrible director has been put in charge then no amount of money will compensate for that. Do you have experience in making music videos? Do you know the process from pre production to production to post production? As said before 5,000 or 10,000 is an investment albeit at the lower end, but still an investment and is a world away from the hobbyist which means you will need a 'business head' on your shoulders as you will need some return on that 5 or 10 grand you are thinking about spending. Have you drawn up a business plan yet, have you sat down with an accountant, have you approached any organisations who can help with start up advice or capital and help you avoid some of the pitfalls? My apologies for all the questions but they need to be asked.

I earn a living from shooting and editing video and I started out by spending a couple of grand on a decent camera. I tried to find as much paid work as possible and re-invested as much as I could spare in order to grow my equipment. This worked for me as I needed to learn how to shoot and edit and having access to the gear seemed the logical way to start. I could practice the art of shooting/ editing even when no one was hiring me.

If I'm totally honest though, that kit spent a lot of time sitting around not being used.

If I was to go back I think I might have started out my video career by simply producing videos and hiring people who knew what they were doing and learn everything I could from them. That might have meant my first paid gigs were of a higher quality and have prompted repeat work and more new clients. Most likely my reel would have looked a lot sharper earlier on and I'd of had more work and more available funds to invest back into growing my business. I spent a few years learning how to get the best out of my equipment and learn what making videos was all about. It was a lot slower doing it on my own even though I had all my own kit. There is no wrong way or right way though. If you're determined enough and want it to happen you'll find a way. I'd just avoid spending thousands of pounds on equipment when you have limited experience. You can't take it back when you discover you prefer a different camera/ you hate the non linear editing programme you opted for/ you can't plug a tv screen into your Mac without a special box that costs 100s of pounds/ the microphone you bought isn't directional enough etc etc.