Thread: DV CAM query

Default DV CAM query

I am using Prem Pro 6.5 and have some footage shot on a Sony Z1 camera using DV cam tapes. I am having trouble when capturing the footage (the time code is freezing/ jumping). I have tried having the DV cam tapes put onto standard mini Dv but its still the same.

Does elements support DV cam or is there a way around this problem?

Cheers

Stuart

The Z1's an HDV camera is it not?

Are you trying to edit HDV footage or SD?

Witty signature text coming soon...

Default DV cam

Footage is not HD, The camera has two recoed modes HDV or DV CAM thee footage was recorded in DV CAM mode on DV CAM tapes.

I was always of the impression that miniDV and DV CAM formats record identical spec footage, namely 5.1 DVC format @ 25 Mbps. The main difference between them is the increased track pitch.

That said, I cannot see why either Premiere 6.5 or Elements should have any difficulty capturing.

But I've never captured from a DV CAM so I'm not best placed to advise. I'm certain one of the other members can help....

Is your PC of adequate spec? Are you capturing to an internal hard drive, or an external one? If its an internal one, is it a dedicated video drive, and not one shared by your operating system?

Have you successfully captured footage from a miniDV camera in the past?

Is the camera set up to output as SD?

Witty signature text coming soon...

Default Dv Cam

Capturing to an external drive thats ok with standard dv tapes. Cam set to SD ok.
    To best describe whats happening is that the footage is playing in the capture screen but at the same time the timecode is freezing or jumping backwards and forwards. Also the sound is not playing although through the camera its ok.

The chap that did the transfer from DV Cam to MiniDV did it in final cut pro although I would have thought that it would make little difference. I am going to see if it captures in Final Cut.

Cheers
    Stuart

Blog Entries

Yes - as Bert says the data on the tape is exactly the same.

I am not sure what you are playing / capturing with but this sounds like a dv / dvcam problem....

You can only play dvcam on dvcam, and dv on dv equipment, as a rule, some things can do both, not many.

The pitch of dvcam is larger, it uses tape faster. When you play it in a dv device it 'nearly' plays as the mechanism attempts to track to too wide for dv dvcam tracks. What you are describing sounds like this to me, could it be ?