Thread: Duron for video?

Default Duron for video?

I've got an aging Athlon XP 2000+ CPU. It was great when I got it two years ago, but now it's just plain boring. I'm looking to upgrade to something newer for a small amount of money.

The cheapest option I have is the Duron Applebred 1.8GHz. I've got an excellent heatsink/fan unit, and people have achieved overclocks of 2.0-2.4GHz on air cooling with this proc. This is what I aim to do. Those who have an OC'ed Applebred say that it's just as fast as an equivalent Thoroughbred. However, I can't take their word for it when it comes to video editing: Most OCers don't do video editing. My only concern is that with just 64K of L2 cache, video editing will be considerably slower than with a CPU like the Thoroughbred with 256K of L2.

Can anyone confirm this? Does the L2 cache not make a difference in video editing? Any help would be appreciated!
    AMD Sempron 2600+ (Socket 754; 1.6GHz)
    Chaintech VNF3-250
    768MB Crucial PC2100 (I know, I really need PC3200 :()
    ATI Radeon 9200

omg, don't do that whatever you do!

the duron would be a lot slower because l2 means a ton!

btw, overclockers do dv edit, I am one of them. If you're looking for an upgrade for overclocking, check out the Athlon XP Mobile 2600+. There have been some amazing overclocks with that and it's not all that expensive.
    Pentium 4 2.4C
    1GB Kingston HyperX PC4000 Dual-Channel
    Abit IS7-G
    2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB Cache RAID 0
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro
    Sony DVD-ROM
    NEC CD-RW
    NEC 19\" CRT

Yeah, I was thinking that L2 was pretty important. I'm just gonna go with an Athlon XP Mobile then.
    AMD Sempron 2600+ (Socket 754; 1.6GHz)
    Chaintech VNF3-250
    768MB Crucial PC2100 (I know, I really need PC3200 :()
    ATI Radeon 9200