Thread: Problem with MiniDV camcorder

Default Problem with MiniDV camcorder

So a few months back I recorded some pretty important footage on my JVC miniDV camcorder. The footage was located in the middle of the miniDV tape. Yesterday I was playing back some of the footage on the tape and decided to rewind the tape to see if I had recorded anything at that point.

Now my problem is, I am unable to locate my initial footage!! I have tried "guessing" where the footage was..fast forwarding/rewinding, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? The camera is a JVC GR-D250.

Thanks guys!

No experience of JVC but my Sony would help as follows...

If you've recorded on a section of tape then it will have a timecode on it. When I fast forward, even though I'm not seeing the image I can see the timecode if one exists.

Hmm, thinking about it, this may only be when searching. Anyway, when you reach the bit recorded on then the timecode appears.

Default Thanks

Thanks Alan, ill try the timecode thing. I am thinking that maybe when I did the rewind that it erased the video? Is this normal operation for a camcorder? I really need this video!

A simpoel rewind should not have changed anything on the tape at all.

You haven't left the tape sitting on a biug pile of magnets have you? Or a speaker?

No..no magnets or anything like that. I was charging the camcorder and was playing it back and everything was fine. I then unplugged it from the charger and hooked it up to the TV and played it back that way for a little bit. This is when I figured I would rewind the entire tape. Then, I was unable to find the recorded footage. I called tech support and the guy said that there was "no way whatsoever" I could have erased the tape. I set the camcorder on play last night when it was charging and watched it all the way through but no movie..what the heck happened to it!!

The magnets thing s was meant as a joke really. I just forgot the smiley making it obvious. Sorry.