Thread: Sony DCR-DVD92 Playback Problem

Default Sony DCR-DVD92 Playback Problem

I've borrowed this HandyCam (Sony DCR-DVD92) from a friend but my recording doesn't play on my PC (XP) or laptop (Vista). It just spins. Any ideas? Thanks!

Yeah - it's a terrible format. No wonder your friend didn't mind lending it to you. He's probably hoping you forget to give it back.

OK. Flippant remarks out of the way.

DVD-based cameras generate a lot of queries here. They record relatively poor video in a format that is unsuited to editing on the PC.

That said, the DVD's that they record onto should be play backable through most DVD set top players without any problems. That feature, after all, was the main marketing push behind the format.

Can your PC's play ordinary DVD's OK? Excuse what may sound like an obvious question, but do the PC's have DVD drives installed, and if so, do they have DVD playback software installed?

Do the disks play in a regular set-top DVD player?

Are you hoping to edit the footage that you recorded?

Is the DVD being recognised in My Computer, and if so, what files can you see listed?

So many questions eh?

Witty signature text coming soon...

Yes, can play DVDs fine on my laptop.

"Do the disks play in a regular set-top DVD player?" It's broken. Don't know.

"Are you hoping to edit the footage that you recorded?" No.

"Is the DVD being recognised in My Computer, and if so, what files can you see listed?" Not being recognized.

I've just learned that the DVD recording needs to be "finalized" on the HandyCam. I did that and it didn't help.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

P.S. What's a good format for recording digital video? Also, what's a good camera or two?
    Last edited by pab1953; 06-11-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Could you just hook it up to your telly with the camera's AV lead and play the DVD directly from the camera?

You're gonna tell me you don't have the AV lead, I can just tell.....

If you are feeling brave, you could read the following thread and at least be comforted in realising that you're not alone with your problems. The said thread may contain some solutions. I didn't read it all. I got about halfway through before I started to lose the will to live...

Camera Hacker: usb drivers for sony dcr-dvd92

If you are feeling particularly malicious, you could forward this link to your friend. It points to a particularly unflattering review of the DVD 92:

Sony DCR-DVD92 Camcorder Review - Sony DVD Camcorders

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    Could you just hook it up to your telly with the camera's AV lead and play the DVD directly from the camera?

You're gonna tell me you don't have the AV lead, I can just tell.....

If you are feeling brave, you could read the following thread and at least be comforted in realising that you're not alone with your problems. The said thread may contain some solutions. I didn't read it all. I got about halfway through before I started to lose the will to live...

Camera Hacker: usb drivers for sony dcr-dvd92

If you are feeling particularly malicious, you could forward this link to your friend. It points to a particularly unflattering review of the DVD 92:

Sony DCR-DVD92 Camcorder Review - Sony DVD Camcorders
    I don't have the AV cable that came with the camera, no. I'll inquire after it.

Thanks for the links. It does sound very poorly designed.

If I were to buy a camcorder, can you recommend a video format and a camera or two?

Quote Originally Posted by pab1953 View Post
    If I were to buy a camcorder, can you recommend a video format and a camera or two?
    Definitely choose a miniDV tape-based camera, if you want to edit your footage easily.

The exact make and model really depends upon your budget, as well as what you want to do with it. Sony, Canon and Panasonic make some great cameras, and some mediocre ones too. Use that link for Camcorder Info for in-depth reviews.

Don't get too hung up on specs for your first camera. You can make great movies with a budget model. It's where you point it that counts, amongst other things.

If we could resurrect Hitchcock, give him a 300 point and shoot camera and Windows Movie Maker, I'm certain he could still come up with a classic. Look at what this chap did (although he has had plenty of practice, and nobody actually had to resurrect him, as far as I know):

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/summer-...-hell-you.html

For what it's worth, the features I find essential and desirable in a camera are posted in this thread:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/camcord...uld-i-get.html
    Last edited by bert6280; 06-11-2007 at 09:42 PM.