Thread: An alternative to Chroma Key

Default An alternative to Chroma Key

Hello people, I'm new here, I just wanna ask you something.
    As you guys can read the title, i wanted to ask you if there is a way to erase some parts of a videoclip (like the Erase tool found in Photoshop for example) so to show the video that is below? So the erased part remains transparent and the rest of the clip continues to show.
    I've tried with Flash but u can only "mask" the video, u can't make a part of it "transparent".
    Thanks in advance.
    Fr4nk

Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk View Post
    Hello people, I'm new here, I just wanna ask you something.
    As you guys can read the title, i wanted to ask you if there is a way to erase some parts of a videoclip (like the Erase tool found in Photoshop for example) so to show the video that is below? So the erased part remains transparent and the rest of the clip continues to show.
    I've tried with Flash but u can only "mask" the video, u can't make a part of it "transparent".
    Thanks in advance.
    Fr4nk
    In the sense I thinkn you mean then masking and transparency are the same thing.

All chroma keying does is define and apply a mask. The subtleties of chroma keying are simply about getting that mask as good as possible for the subject matter.

So basivcally, any effect that will apply a mask will create transp[arency for you in the layer, allowing a layer below it to show through.

You prolly got me wrong. I know how chroma key works, I just asked if there is a way to cut a piece of a movie so the cutted part will become Transparent.
    For example: Cutting an head and putting it on another movie, or cutting a region and use the rest as a mask.

well, if you can ignore the typos in my previous reply then yoru answer is in the last paragraph.

there's enough options in Premiere Pro under Keying (I think) to do this. For best control (unless you have After Effects) your best bet might be the one (Image Matt?) where you create a mono image in Photoshoip and apply that as a mask to your video layer. It's about the only way you'll be able to feather a matt in Premiere.

Hope that's a bit closer to what you want this time