Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Video Capture

Question New To Video Capture

I have a fire wire but what software does anyone recomend for video capture for a JVC GR 240EK CAMCORDER.

Most editing programmes have their own capturing interface. Including Windows Movie Maker.

There are also free standalone capturing programs, such as winDV (WinDV)

Witty signature text coming soon...

Thanks Bert, i did look at Windows movie maker but dont seem able to capture what i want , or it might be i dont understand how it works, i thought i needed software as well as

Default new to video capture

Bert is it possible for you to email and talk me through how to use Windows Movie Maker as i seem unable to capture clipps from cam corder.
    Jan

Is the JVC GR 240EK a mini DV camcorder? If it is then it should have a firewire socket located somewhere on the body of the camcorder, usually hidden under a flap. You plug one end of the firewire cable into it and the other end into your computer, assuming it has firewire built in. If it doesn't then you can install a PCI firewire card, you need a spare slot inside the computer to do this. The cards usually have 3 external connections and one internal. Did you get a CD with your camcorder? It might have some basic software on it for capturing and editing but more than likely not. You may also have driver software on it that you may need to install but if your computer has Windows XP or Vista then you shouldn't have to do that.

Sorry I haven't emailed Jan - family life has happily kept me away from the forums for a few days.

I always prefer to share any tips publicly on the forums so that they can be of benefit to everyone. Unless I'm wrong, of course.

Is your PC recognising the camera? This is the first and most important step to capturing video. It's amazing how many queries are raised on these forums by people experiencing connectivity problems. XP should recognise a firewire-connected DV camcorder the moment it is powered up, just like a flash USB drive, for example.

If this isn't happening then no software will work.

Let us know, and we can take it from there.

When you have it connecting & recognizing: Try the free trial of Ulead Video Studio 11, I use it for video capturing from my JVC mini-DV camcorder, it has loads of settings, & simple pre-set modes for beginners too. However a powerful PC is necessary if you want the highest resolution & settings.

Thanks everyone who has helped me out with this ,
    I am now up and running and able to put clips of video into the photos programe that i use (Memories on TV).
    I did download the WIN DV and thats good.easy to use.

Does anyone know if i can copy a clip but mute out the sound of the clip as i use music behind my photos and it doesnt sound quite right when i add a clip from my camcorder which for arguments sake might be a helicopter flying across a bay i want the image but not the sound,
    thanks everyone for being patient with me.
    Jan

If you are using Movie Maker, you can right-click on the audio portion of the video clip in the timeline and click 'Mute'.

You can then drag the music/sound that you do want to hear to the Audio/Music track.

No Bert im useing the win dv, there was i mute button but i find it still captures the sound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast