Thread: Premiere Pro editing help

Default Premiere Pro editing help

Ok so I was trying to edit down a 40 min. 500mb file down to shorter length and smaller file size. I was able to edit out 15 min. worth of content. I then render the file, after 2 hours, I notice the new file size is almost 8GB!! I want to keep the video quality the same as the original so I pick the highest quality. Is there any way to make the file smaller then the original without losing any quality??

I don't know what codec your video started off with, or what you exporting it as, here's some idea's to try.

If you want to edit it again export as dv avi, this should give about 1gb for every 5mins of video, it will keep plenty enough data for future editing.

If you don't want to edit again, and you want to view it on a tv, export as mpeg2 the file size will be a lot smaller but lots of the data will be lost (and referenced) so editing again is possible but not recomended, mpeg was designed as an output format (specifically for use with dvd and television) so editing can only really be safely done by cutting on certain frames.

If you don't want to edit again, and want it for net use, export it as flv. flash 8's on2 vp6 codec is phenominal for this purpose. Again this is an output format designed specifically for this use and shouldn't really be edited again. I did stumble across a 3rd party plug in to allow flv import on Premiere pro 2 the other day though. It's a crazy world.

David.