Thread: dropped frames

Question dropped frames

Hey everyone I'm new here so bare with me lol well my problem is just about EVERY time i transfer videos off of my camera onto my computer I end up with a ton of dropped frames in the videos :( how can I fix this?

What are your PC's specs, what are you transferring, and how are you transferring it?

Witty signature text coming soon...

im not sure what you mean by specs lol but im transferring some videos off of my camera through a usb cord into my computer...

Ah...the USB transfer is a cause for concern already....video is best transferred via Firewire.

What is the make and model of your camera?

By 'specs', I meant what is your CPU speed, the amount of RAM you have in the PC, and the size and number of hard drives. Also, what software are you using to transfer the footage?

There could still be a number of reasons why you are dropping frames - let me know the above details and I may be better able to advise.

Cheers.

hey thanks...

well im not really sure what fire wire is? and its made by Ulead, check out ulead.com, the camera is a iSpan PMP camera, it uses MPEG-4 codec

and my CPU speed is... I think it is 3000? (idk how to tell the speed it's a Dimension 3000 if that's it lol), 512 MB of RAM, 149 GB Local Disk(C, a dvd drive, a cd-rw drive, and another drive for a video editing program called Instant CD/DVD Burning, and im not really using a software just going to my computer...and opening up the usb drive and then I copy and paste the videos to a folder in my documents...
    Last edited by aon4life; 06-04-2007 at 09:28 PM.

I can only think that the camera itself is dropping frames whilst recording footage. As you probably realise, the camera records video to a removable SD storage card in mpeg4 format. So it's simply a task of transferring the clips from card to PC. You could use a USB cable connected to the camera, or you could transfer using a cheap SD card reader.

You might find editing the clips a little easier if you convert them first into a file format more suited to editing. MP4 is primarily a delivery format, not an editing one. You could try convertng the clips to DV AVI format using a program such as Super (SUPER videos)

The download link is at the bottom of the page.

Once converted, the files can be edited in most editing programs, including Windows Movie Maker.

Already have the Super program but thanks much anyways I shall try that method out.