Thread: How do i get out of this?

Default How do i get out of this?

:cry: Captured & edited family video (108 Mins) successfully in Studio 8, now sitting on hard drive as a project. Tried to initialise & render unsuccessfully. Seek error etc.
    Decided to try & render 15 mins of it saved as new project.
    Apart from the amount of time spent putting DV tapes in & out of camcorder to initialise, i found it was dropping clips into the timeline which i had left out or trimmed. Also when it started to render it was going at a rate of 15 mins to 1 min of timeline. Surly this cannot be right.
    How do i get out of this ? Can i get my project out & burn to DVD some other way.

Newbe Mike
    Ireland

Blog Entries

Unfortunately the only way to render your project from Studio... is in Studio. You could take the raw DV files and convert them to DVD using freeware apps. If you want to do some basic editing you could use Windows Movie Maker and output the final movie to DV, then use TMPGenc (30 day trial on MEPG2) or BBMpeg to make the necessary MPEG2 DVD compliant files. And finally use IFOedit to create the VOB files and your burning application to burn the created files to disc.

Hmm, the is turning into a scrap Studio thread.

Default thanks

Thanks Marc, i think i'm going to cry.

Blog Entries

Cheer yourself up - take your copy of Studio and throw it out the nearest window.

I use Pinnacle 8 - at least I have just today installed 9 - gulp - and I don't say it's wonderful but I don't have all the problems I see described in this forum. But you do have to go a round about way sometimes.

I don't have a DVD burner, but my son does, and we have a family network, so he can do the burning for me. I just made an 18 minute video of the wedding of one of his friends. For quality reasons I wanted a DVD. I made a supposedly DVD compatible mpeg file in make movie, but his burning software said it wasn't compatible - we burned it anyway and it plays on the computer, presumably as a data file, but not on a DVD player.

So...he got TMPGenc and opened the mpeg file in that, and it was fine and burnt it to DVD and everything, no need to use Ifoedit or whatever.

As for rendering....this is where I go the round about route. There were lots of 'effects' - not actual fx but I had to adjust the light as the room the wedding took place in had a big picture window behind the Bride and Groom, so they were in shadow, my son didn't know how to adjust for that in my camera so I had to do something in the edit.

I rendered it to an avi file, then opened the new avi file in Pinnacle, stuck it on the timeline and rendered that as the DVD mpeg. Definitely way better than 15 mins per min of video. I often make an avi file of the edited film, then put that on the timeline to do whatever actual end product I want. As Pinnacle has a problem rendering stills with titles, for example, that solves that as well, put the titles on after it's an avi file.

108 minutes is a bit long tho to make an avi file of, unless you have the NTwhatever it is drive (I do), the FAT32 limits you to about 17 minutes per file. Maybe do it in bits and join them up?

If you do make an avi file, when you first open it, stop it making the thumbnails asap, otherwise you have to drag them individually to the timeline.

All I can think of to help, at the moment.

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Thanks Gillian,
    I'll give it a try.