Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP sony dvd camcorder jitters

Angry HELP sony dvd camcorder jitters

Hello all,

For my sins, and being as green as grass, last year I bought what I thought was the latest, and best technology. A Sony DCR-DVD505E.

Easy to operate as a camcorder . . .But, when wanting to Edit, etc. it is found wanting!

Copying recorded discs is a bit hit and miss . . .often failing to copy with a message:

"Cannot copy VTS_01_2 . . . or other
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

---------------------------------------

So I then download mpgs to Hard drive using Camcorder as book instructions.

I've got a Ulead VideoStudio 10 plus to do some editing, which I enjoy.

The Biggest problem I have is after editing, etc. then SLOWLY burning the discs.

The end result appears juddery, especially on panned shots, etc.

Individuals appear to walking like the old black and white movies.

My 5 yr old grandson, who I just brought back from Disneyland Paris doesn't mind this . . .but it's driving me loopy!

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP OR ADVISE?

Geoff G

Are you using a laptop or desktop computer to do your editing on? What is it's spec, how much memory, processor name and speed etc and are you connecting the camcorder to the computer using USB or did you take the disc out of the camcorder and put it into the DVD drive and copy it that way? When was the last time you defragmented the hard disk and do you have any other software running during capture? Switch off screensavers and antivirus software during capture time, you can switch them back on again afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Are you using a laptop or desktop computer to do your editing on? What is it's spec, how much memory, processor name and speed etc and are you connecting the camcorder to the computer using USB or did you take the disc out of the camcorder and put it into the DVD drive and copy it that way? When was the last time you defragmented the hard disk and do you have any other software running during capture? Switch off screensavers and antivirus software during capture time, you can switch them back on again afterwards.
    Thank you, Nikosony,

Just got your message . . .going to go through your check list asap.

Be in touch soon, Thanks again,

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Hi Nikosony,

This is reply #2.

I've check my PC using"Crucial Technology"

EVGA nForce 4 SLI uATX (131-K8-NF44-AX) Specification

Currently Installed Memory: 2.5 GB.
    CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD.
    CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ Model15, Stepping 0.
    CPU Speed: 2010 MHz

I hope I have got the correct info.

Is there anything in this to cause the problems that I get?

--------------------------

I always copied original 8cm camcorder discs to HD in the past to then save a 12cm disc for filing, but occasionally have the error message popping up.

Normally I download direct from Camera using usb to Picture Package folder. (Appearing as Mpgs). These is what I use for editing purposes.

-----------------------------

I don't run anything else whilst running my editing programme!

Screensaver set at 2,500 minutes!

Defragged regularly!

Could it have anything to do with the speed of CPU??

I hope all this makes sense to you . ..I'm having great trouble! It's all new to me!

Thank you for your time and trouble. . . . .Geoff

Your computer seems fine apart from the speed of the processor, I haven't done any video editing using a 2Ghz chip, mine have always been nearer the 3Ghz mark (with 800Mhz FSB) and have been Intel Pentiums, either with HyperThreading or Dual Core. I haven't used Ulead Video Studio 10 so I can't comment on how it works but it might have a problem dealing with mpg files. These files can be very problematic for a lot of people, I just spent the past week converting video from both mpg and the even more obscure vro video formats to avi only to end up with something like what you describe yourself. Jittery, jumping video that wasn't encoded properly, I think the codec I used (Canopus DV) and Premiere don't see eye to eye and you end up with terrible looking video but only when you burn to DVD. When you play it back on the timeline it plays back fine. So something must be going wrong between the time the video in the timeline is turned from avi into mpg and burned onto DVD.

Hi there Nikosony,

You've got it just there . . play back in timeline, and on the final check before burning, images run smooth!

But after burning, very jittery . . .it's so disappointing.

I may have to abandon my new-ish SonyDVD 505 camcorder and start saving for a a reliable film camcorder!

Unless any other suggestions come through.

Thanks for you time and trouble.

Geoff

Don't know why Niko is asking for your computer specs really as that will rarely have an effect on dvd burning other than the speed it can do it.

Have you played back the dvd on a tv or computer?

If you have the ability in your software to build a disk image (without burning it do disk) do that, and play it back through your computers dvd player software. That will determine if it's a rendering/encoding or burning issue.

Mosh, the reason why I asked Geoff G about his computer specs is because in his first post he writes 'The Biggest problem I have is after editing, etc. then SLOWLY burning the discs.' I took this to mean he had to wait an extraordinary long time to burn a DVD. Over the past two years I have had to wait between 1 and 1.5 times the length of my finished movie for it to render and burn the disc, if your computer is reasonably up to date then you shouldn't have to wait longer than that unless you are putting in effects and transitions at the end of every clip. I think I know what the problem is, Ulead Video Studio plus 10 does the same thing as Adobe Premiere, it plays back mpg files with no problems in the timeline but when you burn to disc and then play it back on a home DVD player, the scenes are jerky... Premiere does exactly the same thing, something seems to go wrong in the conversion process, either frames are removed or duplicated, probably the latter to cause the jerkiness. Your VTS files would need to be converted to Microsoft DV AVI 2 in order to get them to work properly. WinDVD Creator could do that but I haven't got it anymore, I now reget giving it away with my previous computer. UPDATE... I now put my DVD mpg files in my home DVD recorder and I connect it to my mini DV camcorder using AV in (thankfully I have this facility - had to change the settings in the menu) and the run the DV cable from the camcorder to the DV in on the back of the computer. So basically what I've set up is an analogue to digital convertor, yes I know the video on the DVD in my home DVD recorder is digital but there is no DV out on it, so I have to revert back to analogue... half a loaf being better than no bread! The audio is connected to the audio card input. Then it's a matter of going into whichever NLE you are using and just do an ordinary capture, cue up the disc in the DVD player and hit the record or capture button in your NLE, just make sure you have selected the correct input and output settings on all your equipment along the chain.

Sorry for getting up your nose Niko, but I wouldn't consider waiting for a dvd to burn as an issue, even if geoff says it's his main problem, I would consider the judderiness to be the issue.

Also, if you're using propper dvd authoring software, transitions and effects in the video would make no difference to build/burn times of a dvd. Only the transitions in the dvd menu system would, and they tend to render themselves in moments. Using the video editor to burn a dvd is probably the issue, Jack of all trades master of none.

Smile Reply to Moshe

Hello MOSH,

Thank you for both your messages!

Sorry there has been some confusion between yourself and Nikosony, that may be down to me . . .if so, my apologies.

------------

As you suggested I created a Video File of the item, before going to disc and this ran really smooth. It appeared like a large mpg.

But still, when I come to create a disc . . .the end result is jerky.

Playing the Video File on my PC, it's as smooth as pos.

Thanks for your time and trouble, Geoff G
    Last edited by Geoff G; 06-11-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Wrong Name . .Moshe should be MOSH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast