Thread: short roto clip

Default short roto clip

I just stuck a little rotoscoped clip on you tube if anyone fancies a look. I quite like this one I think, all thoughts and critisms welcomed of course.

I like it! What is rotoscoping exactly? How is it done?

Good show old chap good show
    We are ready to shock the world

Back to it's roots rotoscoping was basically tracing individual frames of film to get the realistic motions into animations.

It's uses have spread pretty vastly now. It could be tracing video frames to give graphical or animated looks, adding seemless aspects drawn into video frames, adding obvious animation aspects to video or even removing sections of video from shots to be compositied into other shots.

There are many different techniques in use, exporting as individual frames to be traced or painted on is basic and hard to get smooth results, animating masks and paths over time to follow the action is another technique. It's easier (not easy though) to get smooth motions and all sorts of things can be done with, or in relation to, the masks and paths.

These are just a couple of examples and I'm sure the future will bring many new techniques too, there's a lot going on and a lot of individuality among techniques and tools.

BRILLIANT - I as expecting some crappie light sabering stuff but finally a rotoscoping vid that only has a light sabre as an ident - that was beautiful!

Thank you's (is you or you's plural for you) very much.

It's got to the point that the first thing people think of when rotoscoping is mentioned is lightsabers. I felt that made it iconic enough to have earned a place in an ident.