Thread: Some questions on FX

Default Some questions on FX

If you'll watch this video you'll see the style I'm trying to create.

My first question is, How did the creator speed up and slow down the film. I know about the velocity envelope, but I could'nt pull off the same effect as the creator of this Video.

Secon question would be about the quick blurring effect along with the speed up. I have no Idea how to use the blurr like this.

Thanks for any help guys.

Strike

Quote Originally Posted by strike277 View Post
    How did the creator speed up and slow down the film. I know about the velocity envelope, but I could'nt pull off the same effect as the creator of this Video.
    #1 - Right Click on VeloEnvel and add a 1st "Point" at the place where you want to STOP motion and choose " HOLD".

#2 - Move down the timeline and Right Click on VeloEnvel and add a further 2nd "Point" and set to ZERO velocity - you HAVE to enter this manually. You will see the POINT drop down below your first point. This is a good thing.

#3 - Hold down the ALT key ( this allows us to move points in the horizontal plane only - Ctrl key for Vetical only movement) and move this 2nd point until it is UNDER your 1st Point. You will notice, because you have a HOLD option in "play" on your first point, a "step" appears. This is the abrupt HOLD coming into effect - think about it.

#4 - Move down the timeline and add a further 3rd POINT - this will already be at ZERO velocity - and move it towards the 2nd Point. The actual distance between the 2nd and 3rd point will be your time-held duration-effect.

#5 Move down the Timeline and add a last 4th point and reset this to Normal Velocity. And again move this 4th Point to the LEFT until it is OVER the third point. This will have the effect of abruptly bringing your project back to Normal velocity

#6 - Play Event and adjust points to exactly where you want them for the sequencing of the Video.

Now, here's what I sometimes forget. Because I have been changing the velocity of the event, chances are that I will have changed the overall duration of the event. Making a HOLD, and the Event is increased in its length - BUT until I pull out the end I want see ALL of the remaining part of the Event. Please be aware of this. Vegas IS doing what it should. I just want you to be aware of that too!

So to recap:

i) Add 4 points

ii) Apply HOLDS to where you want the video to momentarily STOP

iii) Adjust for Points for sequencing.

Secon question . . the quick blurring effect along with the speed up.
    OK, after applying the VeloEnvel, use the Master Video Bus and applying Motion Blur Envelope.

PLEASE NOTE:

A] You can also apply POINTS to this MASTER Bus in the same way as you did on the VeloEnvel.

B] At present the Motion Blur is Project Wide and not EVENT specific. Meaning you have this effect in operation for the WHOLE timeline. I'm not sure of the CPU hit you may get as a result of it being there - even if it ISN'T being used. My way? I'd do a Nested VEG just for this itsy-bitsy thingy and I would then know that it was EVENT specific.

Grazie,

Thank you for that indepth answer. I'm going to try what you've suggested and let you know how it turns out. If you can't tell I'm a complete NooB at vegas.

Well I did try what you suggested and gave me the desire result. More impartanly I now know how to do it. The motion Blurr though, it's not showing up as a submenu, all I see are velocity and Trasitions.
    Last edited by strike277; 05-30-2007 at 03:50 AM.

More impartanly I now know how to do it.
    Excellent!

The motion Blurr though, it's not showing up as a submenu, all I see are velocity and Trasitions.
    Motion Blur is an Envelope. But presently it is only available on the VIDEO BUS track. This is appklied the whole Timeline - which IS a good thing. Personally, I'd also like it available at the EVENT Level too.

These Bus Tracks are located at the bottom AND outside of the Main Timeline.

OK, are you saying that you aren't "seeing" the Video/Audio Buses? There is one for Video and one for Audio. If you can't, then maybe you need to:

Go > View ( up there on the Toolbar ) > Engage VIDEO Bus Track ( if you like you can also do the AUDIO too) > Right click on the Video Bus and select "Insert/Remove Envelope" > "Motion Blur Amount"

I now get a Purple Envelope line. Treat it as you would any Velocity Envelope.

Grazie