Thread: Philips dvd+r

Default Philips dvd+r

Since 1,5 year I have been using Philips DVD+ R 16 speed dvd's using adobe encore's high quality preset (2 pass 7mb vbr) to burn them to a dvd and never had any problems with playing the dvd's on a variety of dvd players untill...

I bought two 50packs in a german store, they were on discount and for the price I couldn't resist. I allready used a few dvd from the first pack for a wedding and again without a problem, then the next client did have playback problems, even with new copies the film would stutter in the beginning and the it jumped back to the dvd menu. In my dvd player however it worked fine except for 1 dvd (out of 3) which showed the same problem.
    In one copy I found some spots on the burning layer of the dvd but other copies which had playback problems did not show these spots, eventually I used the second 50pack to burn the dvd and then all was ok.

Except the client asked for another copy last week which I made from that second 50pack and again he had playback problems while in the meantime I had other customers were I sold a dvd from that same 50pck dvd without any complaints.

Could it be that the high quality preset from encore causes problems on some dvd players or may the dvd's are just of a bad quality? has anyone else experienced problems like this before?

Much more likely to be a simple incompatibility between the blank media chosen and the make/model of DVD player this particular client has.

Curious that you use DVD+R. I thought the general consensus is that DVD-R disks tend to offer less compatibility issues with DVD players.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Much more likely to be a simple incompatibility between the blank media chosen and the make/model of DVD player this particular client has.

Curious that you use DVD+R. I thought the general consensus is that DVD-R disks tend to offer less compatibility issues with DVD players.
    Yesterday I called that client again to ask what type of player he had, then it became a bit clearer. It was a Philips... My father has a one of the first Philips harddisk recorders and my Philips dvd+ r's often just refuse to start up in that player. The client I called also bought his dvd player in the same period my father did so maybe it is a problem limited to Philips players only and from a specific manufacturing period. Don't know if more people have problems with Philips players?

In regard to + and - , When I visit clients to show wedding demo's I have 2 dvd- disks with me as well, I have had so many compatibility problems with them with players not recognizing the disk I switched to Philips dvd+ and they allways have played fine except in Playstations where the dvd- types work better.
    Now I have switched to Verbatim dvd+ because I have read very good reviews about them.

I only hope that blue ray or hd dvd won't suffer from the same problem in the future.

Do not consider this a Phillips only issue. Itr's just a sad state of affairs that some DVD players are just not happy with certain brands/types of blank media. manufactureres worth their name will publish a list of compatible media on their website.