Thread: Quick firewire query?

Default Quick firewire query?

Hi,

Great forum. I took the advice and immediately returned my Samsung dvd based camcorder to the shop in exchange for a Sony DCR HC37 miniDV item and I am very happy with it. I have been filming my son, who was born yesterday, and now I need to download the tape to my PC to edit. The question is, how can I find out if it has a firewire socket? I have had a look and there is a possible 6 pin socket near to the 5 USB sockets but I may be mistaken. My PC is a Dell Dimension 5150 if that makes any difference? Could anyone tell me how I can find out for sure?

Thanks a lot for your help.

There are two things you can do, look on the rear and front of the computer to see if you can locate a socket with a flat connector in it, it looks like a USB connector but is rounded at one end, whereas a USB is square all the way round. Also, in the Control Panel double click on the SYSTEM icon -> click on the Hardware tab -> click on the Device Manager button and look through the list that comes up and see if you can find IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers. If there are any flaps or panels on the computer open them to see if a Firewire is hiding underneath.

The spec I found at Dell's website at Dimension 5150 Desktop Product Details does not make mention of any firewire port, just a bundle of USB2 ports.

However the good news is that you can find a fiorewire PCI card noice a cheap. For example I just found this Dabs Value 2ext/1int Port FW400 PCI card (FGFA63072E1IF10) a firewire card for under a fiver at Dabs.com. I'm noit necessarily recommending either them or this particular card. It's just the first one I found.

Thanks for the replies. I have now purchased a firewire pc card + socket (6 into 4) for my PC. I have already edited some video using Microsoft Movie Maker. I am enjoying this new world of home video. Cheers.

Glad to hear you got sorted out and that you have started to capture and edit your videos. Just remember to defragment your hard disk (the one you do your capturing to) on a regular basis. It can be found at START->ALL PROGRAMS->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM TOOLS->DISK DEFRAGMENTER. You need to check the drive first (analyze) to see if the drive needs defragmenting but usually after a heavy capturing and editing session, more than likely you will need to run it. Depending on the size of your hard disk and how much defragmenting needs to be done it might take a few minutes to over an hour, but it's worth it! If you experience any problems with capturing, switch off anti virus programs (for the duration of the capture) and screensavers.

hi i have also just purchased this camera and have bought a usb A to 4 pin firewire cable online but my comp is not recognising the camera to let me edit the video or put it on my comp etc any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Default problem transfering to my pc

Hello this is my first post I am having problems transfering my mini dv tapes to my pc i have a firewire installed on my pc but for some reason i cannot transfer to it can any one help.
    my mini dv is a samsung vp-d101
    Thanks Steve

wjoshuad@aol.com

Forget about your USB to Firewire combos and just go for a 4 pin (camera) to 6 pin (computer) Firewire cable.