Thread: Archiving Video

Default Archiving Video

As a total newbie, I am capturing analogue video 8 tapes via Pinnacle Studio 9 using an Avermedia DVB TV card. Ideally I am looking to capture these in the best quality possible to re use later for editing in more than one project.

A straightforward capture to mpeg2 gave very disappointing quality both on playback on the PC and also when burned as a DVD movie. To capture in avi format using PICvideoMjpeg codec (seems to be preferred by Pinnacle 9) at a high quality setting worked OK but would mean I could archive less than 10 minutes on a DVD! I have several hours of family events..................

Additionally, when editing an avi file in Pinnacle and then outputting again to avi, I seem to have several options of different codecs. Does it matter which I choose? I only have access to my son's TV card for another 2 months and I have already spent ages trying to get my head around how to do it. Any advice would be most welcome.

Lots of solutions to your archiving problem, the real problem is which is best for you:

Tape backup - high capacity storage, can be internal or external drive - I wouldn't reccommend this as a long term storage option. tapes are too fragile a medium to trust to time and storage conditions. Its great for redundant/repititious backup routines where you cycle tapes all the time.

Add an extra harddrive to your system - one of the 300+gig drives, maybe 2. Problem is, you will still run out of space if you keep adding (cause you just LOVE video editing that much).

Invest in a removable harddrive system. Kind of expensive, and can be hard to get insertable harddrives as time goes on.

If you are competent with PC hardware you can buy last years model high quality harddrives fairly cheaply, hook tham to your data chain and backup/remove. Although the data retention is superior to tape the drives are subject to shock damage and care must still be taken. ***This is my personal favortite method, combining high capacity, economics, and ease of data accessability and transfer.***

Burn to DVD - you already know the limitations of that.

Set up a new PC full of drives, or even a server for high capacity storage and shared access. Oh Ya, that one wont be expensive....

you can up the compression, lower the resolution on your output videos **** I STRONGLY urge against this****

As for your Pinnacle settings, im no expert with that software, but always use the most uncompressed opotions. It does create larger AVI's but you will not be unsatisfied with quality when you go back to them. Sorry I can't speak to your codec selections, not knowing what your installed codecs are.

good luck
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Thanks for that - I just fitted a new 200gb drive which will be great for working from but not for archiving as well. We have a home network (CAT5) and as my son is a software engineering student a spare PC may actually work out as a cheapish option - he accumulates old PC's from an extraordinary range of sources! The drives will still cost, though.

Will Pinnacle be happy to work on files over a network or will I have to copy them locally to edit?

Thanks again

Blog Entries

I use a removable drive caddy and am currently filling up my 'old' drives. Some stuff is actually backed up across 2 drives.

Raid 5 storage sloutions are a very secure and convenient, if expensive soloution.

Those little 8mm tapes are looking more and more precious. As well as capturing them to digital format to edit, I was thinking that I would have the digital version as a back-up. I am a bit wary though of committing the tapes to a big hard drive, as they are so fragile and any damage could lead to huge losses of video.

I know it's far from ideal but I am thinking of copying them to VHS for back-up purposes. It's years since I used VHS tapes and I would value opinions on which tapes to look for considering that the plan is to write once and keep as long as possible. Is there such a thing as an archival quality VHS tape?

no, vhs degrades fairly quickly, and is very sensitive to the storage environment - as is all tape.

not to mention that VHS players will be very hard to obtain soon (and the one you have will degrade/break)

commit your tapes to a big harddrive, then mirror (copy) that harddrive to another harddrive - store them seperatly from each other. harddrives are very inexpensive relative to the value of your footage. well worth the money.

this really is the best option. (imho)
    My System Specs:

Cameras: 2 x Canon XL1s
    Computer: Dual Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processors (hyperthreaded) - Intel SE7505VB2 mother board - 2 Gb PC2100 RAM kingston -Adaptec FireConnect 4300 -2xseagate 10K scsi hdd 150G ea -2xseagate 7200 ide hdd 200G ea - Plextor PX-708A DVD burner - ATi Raedon 9800Pro video with Dual SUN 21\" monitors - Sound Blaster Platinum live!
    Software: Windows XP Pro with SP2 - Pyro Pro (adobe\'s premier pro, encore DVD, and audition bundle)

Quote Originally Posted by CrkMStanz View Post

not to mention that VHS players will be very hard to obtain soon (imho)
    Imho for blu rau discs I myself use a backup tool. Still looking for any other tools, or are there no more?!