Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time stop effect

Default Time stop effect

I watched on the lot on the Thursday which is an "American Idol" sort of show for filmmakers. One of the teams made an effect where the time was stopped yet they were still moving. It is hard to describe, so I searched google video for "Time stop on the lot" and I could not find that one, however I could find a video that does do what I am trying to describe:

How did they do this????
    -Ethan

that is cool!!!

Blog Entries

Here is a simple example of what I think they did - masking.

http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/Temp/levitate.wmv

I took a still of the point I wanted the box to hover, then masked that bit of the picture over the video - this hides the falling box and shows the still.

This is a very straightforward example - the ones you posted look much more complicated, but i would guess that is the basic editing trick.

(posted vid not playing right now - dunno why, might sort itself out - time passes - fixed now)
    Last edited by Mark W; 05-27-2007 at 12:53 PM.

I see. sort of like the cloning effect. How did they make it look like they were behind the deck of cards, or in your case the box?
    -Ethan

Blog Entries

Moer layers and more masks I would say. Working out how to do shots like this can be a real brain squeezer. Often there isnt a simple answer.

If you watch carefully you can see the image jitter just as the effect is inserted.
    On the trampoline watch the girl and you can see her move abruptly as the image is frozen, also the Basketball net moves as well.

Once the image is frozen it will easier to move around the back as the still have to be at the front to make it easy, getting to come round the front would be much more difficult as even more masking would be required.

As for the card being plucked out of thin air, a trick used in 2001 were the pen is floating in the spaceship, the pen was stuck on a large piece of Glass and that was rotated very slowly giving the impression of a pen floating in space.

A bit more close looking at the last clip I think the card plucked out of the air was added as a mask when he threw the clips (animated to the end position) and is all ready in place masked out, then it is unmasked and is plucked out of the air.

Cheema, yup, my thoughts completely.

This is a well thought out piece and has had much "craft" applied to it.

Grazie

That's what you get for watching TV shows to closely and re-playing the item in slow mo until you had figured out the effect, now a days of course 9/10 it will be CG., where the fun in that?

I know this thread ended a while ago, but I found the actual video and I wanted to post it.

On The Lot: Episodes

I wanted to start working on a video like it, but I was working on a video with my friend, and as I graduated from 6th grade (no more elementary school ) 2 days ago I got a gift card to Frys and I want to get a camcorder. I won't start working on it until 2 or 3 weeks, when I get it.
    Last edited by etharooni; 06-17-2007 at 03:52 AM.
    -Ethan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast