Thread: i.LINK help needed

Default i.LINK help needed

Hi,
    I have a couple questions on i.LINK ( I guess also called 1394 cables) I'm a rookie.
    1. to get the highest quality in video transfer from my camcorder (Sony DCR-HC26 Handycam) to my computer hard-drive, do I have to use the 4 pin to 4 pin connection or can I use the 4 pin to 6 pin (looks like a usb style end) connection since I don't have a connection on my computer for a 4 pin.
    2. if I have to use a 4 pin to 4 pin connection for highest quality, is there a card I can buy to add this type of connection to my computer?
    3. what is a good brand for these types of connections?
    4. also I just seen there's a 1394a and 1394b connections available, whats the difference?
    thanks for the help,
    Glen
    Last edited by gvw; 05-26-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Post Hello all!

Hi Hello all, and thanks for letting me become a member! I saw www.videoforums.co.uk on a site I was browsing through and so far I like what I see! My name is Christina and I am a single mom, well anyways, thanks ! G'night

Quote Originally Posted by gvw View Post
    Hi,
    I have a couple questions on i.LINK ( I guess also called 1394 cables) I'm a rookie.
    1. to get the highest quality in video transfer from my camcorder (Sony DCR-HC26 Handycam) to my computer hard-drive, do I have to use the 4 pin to 4 pin connection or can I use the 4 pin to 6 pin (looks like a usb style end) connection since I don't have a connection on my computer for a 4 pin.
    2. if I have to use a 4 pin to 4 pin connection for highest quality, is there a card I can buy to add this type of connection to my computer?
    3. what is a good brand for these types of connections?
    4. also I just seen there's a 1394a and 1394b connections available, whats the difference?
    thanks for the help,
    Glen
    1. The firewire card/socket on the PC has the larger, 6-pin socket. Cameras have the smaller 4-pin socket. So you need a 4-pin to 6-pin cable.

2. Not necessary. See 1.

3. Any brand that works, eg Safecom PCI Firewire 1394A Card with 3 External and 1 Internal Port OEM

4. Speed. 1394a is fast enough for DV.

Thumbs up

bert6280,

thanks for the reply and the great information, that helped allot

thanks again,
    Glen