Thread: once and for all...

Default once and for all...

hello, i've searched high and low for the answer but cant seem to find a clear direct solution.
    Ok so it's the widescreen problem again, i have a sony Z1 and i have filmed a music video and about to start editing for broadcast delivery and what im after is for the video to play back when broadcasted as follows:

on a 4:3 tv: letterboxed due to the native size of the widescreen video
    on a 16:9 tv: full screen

now i thought by just editing in a pal widescreen project and rendering in a widescreen project i would achieve this HOWEVER the footage is displayed in full screen on both 4:3 and 16:9 tv's

Now i know this is causing more complication but i would also like to know how to have the video letterboxed on both a 4:3 tv and 16:9 tv. i know i could easily add black bars to the footage but then im thinking when its played back on a 4:3 tv its going to be cropped too much because it would be the black bars ive added plus the native ones from the 16:9 footage. Ah i can feel the headache already lol. But anyway im using sony vegas and editing in native mt2.

thank you

Hi!
    I do this all the time. Shooting either on Digi Beta 16x9 or on a Hi-Def F900 and quite often the Director will bring along a Z1 for cutaways and shoot that on 16x9 also.. You are absolutely right to presume that " i thought by just editing in a pal widescreen project and rendering in a widescreen project i would achieve this". I've seen my transmitted footage in pubs, clubs,friends houses and my own domestic TV. I was in a Dixons showroom a few years ago and some of my own footage came up on 20 different TV screens and the displays were all different!. If you've agreed with your commissioning editor that this was the format that you were going to shoot on, then deliver your product to the broadcaster in this format and all will be fine. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that.... "HOWEVER the footage is displayed in full screen on both 4:3 and 16:9 tv's" ...given that it hasn't been transmitted yet. I'm also not sure why you would like to have it letterboxed in 16x9. Let the viewers worry about how they view their programmes on TV. Come back if this doesn't help.

thats helped loads. I say that both images were displayed in full screen on both a 4:3 tv and 16:9 tv becuase i did a test render to dvd and it bisplayed no letterbox on either tv but i was hoping that this was a dvd thing rather than broadcast. basically what i've concluded from your message is to shoot edit and deliver in the broadcast spec that they ask for and let them worry about it. thanks again for the help

Yea the settings in your DVD Player would determine how it was displayed. Good Luck with your project. I'll look out for it!!