Thread: Can anyone Help ?

Default Can anyone Help ?

Hi I am new to video and video editing and not really technical on the computer, I recently got married and wanted to edit my video footage and crate my own DVD from the video recorded on the day but the footage that gets burnt to disk is very poor quality when the tapes are played direct on the TV they seem fine. I am using Pinnacle studio plus 10.6 to cut and edit and create the DVDís, The footage is shot on a Sony mini dv handicam, my computer is a brand new Intel core 2 duo system ( With a Vista OS) with 2gb or ram and 2 Hard Drives which I use the second to store and edit,. Am I using the wrong editing program ? can anyone help or give me some advice....cheers.

Well your PC is certainly up to the job, and you are doing all the right things by having a second hard drive, not to mention a miniDV camera.

How are you capturing your footage into the PC? Firewire or USB?

What project settings are you using?

Well I'm using a Firewire at the moment and have also tried the usb cable that came with the camera as for project settings is that the project format box? if so it says PAL standard, current: 720x576 25frames/sec, 16:9 interlaced...sorry if thats not the info i really am a greenhorn at this.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I'm not a Pinnacle user (my initial questions were simply to determine whether you were doing something fundamentally wrong), so I'm not able to give any specific advice.

I'm certain that someone will be along soon.

In the meantime, it may be worth looking at Pinnacle's site to see if there are any issues with Vista.

Pinnacle Systems - Product summary - Studio Plus version 10

Was your footage shot in 16:9 ?

No The footage was shot in 4:3 dose the format make a big difference? , not much help at the pinnacle site, I'm starting to think Pinnacle was a HUGE waste of money, thanks for replying much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by M_A_K View Post
    No The footage was shot in 4:3 dose the format make a big difference?
    Usually, yeah.

Your software will be expecting 16:9 footage. Giving it 4:3 to work with may be the cause of your problems. Try using compatible settings and see if things improve.

Will give it a go cheers.....

I thought version 10 did not run on windows vista and that you could only solve this by using a 10.8 patch or by installing version 11?

On installation it did say there was a conflict with vista but the program seems to run OK apart from a freeze now and then, dose anybody know if pinnacle version 11 is worth the money to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by M_A_K View Post
    On installation it did say there was a conflict with vista but the program seems to run OK apart from a freeze now and then, dose anybody know if pinnacle version 11 is worth the money to upgrade?
    check the pinnacle site for reasons to upgrade