Thread: Slow Motion Segments

Default Slow Motion Segments

Hey guys what's up I'm new here and trying to get into the video editing scene which seems really great. Anyways, in Sony Vegas I was trying to figure out how to make a segment of a clip slow motion. I have searched around and found this site, a thread that talked about using the Rubber band tool or the Velocity Envelopes. I at first tried the Velocity Envelopes but it seems to 'fade', in other words, I just want, for example, 00:00:30 to 00:00:50 to be in slow motion, instant too, I don't want it to gradually become slow motion. I'm new to this so it's probably something I did wrong. I then tried the rubber band tool but I didn't understand it haha. Anyways, was wondering if you guys could please help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

first u need to cut the clip where u want the slo mo to start and end. if u dont kno how to do that, just get it to the spot where u want it to start slo mo, press s, then get it to where u want it to end press s (make sure the video clip is highlighted or u might be cliping something else) then drag the clip to the right of the one u just cliped (the middle one) away from it and go back to the middle one and get ur cursor on the edge of the clip where the box with the connected arrow shows up, then press and hold ctrl, a little squigly line will be under it. drag it to where u want it then put the end clip back with it. dont forget in the slo mo part to take the sound out. unless u want it. to do that, right click on the sound part of the clip, go to group, then remove from. now u can delete just the sound or video.

Hey thanks man! Although your instructions were a bit confusing I think I figured it out, at least, those were the cutting instructions. But how do I make it slow motion now? Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind! I got it, I just added a velocity envelope and you're right, it now only affects that segment. It worked when I sped it up, however when I slow it down it doesn't show the whole segment, is there a way to fix this? Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by blankdenim; 05-22-2007 at 05:33 AM.

get ur cursor on the edge of the clip where the box with the connected arrow shows up, then press and hold ctrl, a little squigly line will be under it. drag it to where u want it. the farther u drag it the slower it gets. make sure u hold ctrl the whole time u drag it though

Dude that's frickin chill thanks for hooking me up man really appreciate it, it works now.

. . and then this is the way I do it.

#1 - Add velocity Envelope and place Velocity Point changes where I want them - done!

#2 - oops! there is no stage #2!

Advantage here is that the Event remains whole and NOT split up. Meaning, that any changes I do will continually being updated to THAT Event. Once you split an event you loose creative control over the other parts. Meaning that IF you want to "de-squiggle" one part of the Split Event, making it run faster, you could have an out of synch AND/OR repeating item/frames in either the previous OR subsequent Split Event.

But that's the way I do it . . and why.

o, is there a way to control how slow or fast it goes with that velocity thing? sounds interesting. i should probably learn to use all the other tools, right now i do everything with just the normal editing arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw91 View Post
    o, is there a way to control how slow or fast it goes with that velocity thing? sounds interesting.
    The functionality of the Velocity Envelope is truly comprehensive. You can:

#1 - HOLD or sustain a velocity

#2 - SET a velocity

#3 - REVERSE a movement

#4 - FLIP all the points - meaning you can swap over the POINTS you've added.

#5 - Accurately move these POINTS in the Vertical (Ctrl) or through the Horizontal (Alt)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw91 View Post
    i should probably learn to use all the other tools, right now i do everything with just the normal editing arrow.
    All the other tools? I'm just addressing the Velocity options.

Just try it. It will take you 20 minutes - tops! Add that envelope and LFET click on some POINTS directly on to the VeloEnvel ! And then RIGHT click on one of your POINTS and just see what is available to you.

Grazie