Thread: Adobe Premiere Pro - Help

Default Adobe Premiere Pro - Help

I've just recently started to use this programe and find myself stuck on a problem.

My issue is that I've two separate clips that I want displayed simultaneously so that it appears to be one. I don't want to do the split screen thing where you can see both images and it's evident that they're separate. What I want to do is blend the clips in the middle where they meet so it appears as if it's one scene.

I would be grateful for any help and please bear in mind that I'm a newbie so simple, easy to follow instructions would be most appreciated

I've not heard of this one before. Do you mean blend them in the sense of how you would knit multiple photos together as a panorama in photoshop (or whatever)?

I certainly don't know of a plugin that would attempt to find a match between the two clips on a frame by frame basis and merge them together as one. At leasty not for Premiere. You could track motion in After Effects and apply those positions to the same/equvalent point on the second clip to line the clips up that way.

To merge the two clips gracefully in Premiere what you really need is to mask the edges off in a feathered fashion (i.e. fade the mask out at the edge) and then line them up. However, none of the mask options I know about in Premiere has a feather option so I'm inclined to think you need After Effects again because it excells at this.

What you might be able to do in Premiere though, is apply a mask based on a monochrome image and have that 'mask image' fade between black and white nicely.

Overall, sounds like a job for a proper compositing tool if you have access to one.

What I mean is for instance if you have two separate clips:

Clip 1: person 1 at a scene.
    Clip 2: person 2 at a different scene.

What I wanted to do is blend the scene so that the two scenes appear as though it is one.

I tried having the clips on top of one another and lowering the opacity, resulting in both showing through. But I don't want the the edges of where the two clips meet to show.

On photoshop to merge two photos I'd feather the edges but I have no experience on premiere pro so am unsure of how to proceed with videos.

Sorry if I'm not making sense.

I don't have After effects so don't know whether I can try out your advice. Originally I was going to go with Vegas which I had a trial version of, Premiere Pro seems much more complicated

Any good free tutorials for beginners to try and learn this programme?

Quote Originally Posted by jay_nee View Post

I tried having the clips on top of one another and lowering the opacity, resulting in both showing through. But I don't want the the edges of where the two clips meet to show.
    Are the clips of identical dimensions?

Whenever I've layered clips on top of each other the edges all line up, so I end up with 4 sides as before. Are you changing the dimensions of one of the clips, like as in picture-in-picture?

Quote Originally Posted by jay_nee View Post

Any good free tutorials for beginners to try and learn this programme?
    This could take you a while, but it's worth it:

Adobe Education: Adobe Production Studio Curriculum Guide

OK, so my previous thoughts on what you wanted were wide of the mark. Are you tryign to take a person from one clip and superimpose them on the other clip so the two people look like they're together? Is that what you want? If so then it's not easy and you will not do it in Premier Pro alone.

If not then I'm at a complete loss to know what you're after sorry.

Thanks for that link, will try and read through it, might take me a little while though

And yep that is what I meant making it seem like two people from different clips are in the same scene.

Can this only be done with After Effects? At the end of the day, this is a hobby and I'm not sure if I want to be buying other products to support premiere pro.

You can find a clip here were it is explained what you want to achieve, only it is in dutch but if you follow what the guy is doing on screen you must be able to pull it off.