Thread: Ripping DVDs in uncompressed AVI...

1. Question Ripping DVDs in uncompressed AVI...

What program would you say is the best for ripping DVDs in uncompressed AVI? Every program I've found so far wants to compress the footage.

MS.

Blog Entries

DVDs are compressed into MPEG2 anyway.Why not just import the vobs into Vegas and render an AVI straight from there?

3. Default

I was thinking about that, but just wanted to get a few more suggestions.

I even tried editing straight from the DVD in Vegas, but for some reason, the footage acts up a little, putting frozen frames from other parts of the event into places they shouldn't be... Weird. Any idea why this might be?

MS.

Blog Entries

No idea. Works perfectly for me.

5. Default

Which files from the DVD should I be dragging and dropping into Vegas TO edit?

MS.

Blog Entries

Most DVDs have multiple .vob files sited within the Video_TS folder. Find the one(s) you want and use them. (I always copy the DVD onto a folder on my hd to begin with)

Smoothness & Freezes!

Apologies here if you have explained previously, but was it that you DID try : File > Import > DVD Camcorder Disc . .and THAT was giving you grief?

Smooooothness
    Well, I just did an IMPORT DVD Camcorder Disc, not a problem. It took sometime to import, about 12 minutes for a 2 hour, MENU driven DVD that I had created in Vegas and then authored in DVDA and burnt. But I'm now looking at 15 MPG files on my timeline, within a widescreen project. Yes, to start with it looked jerky, it is MPG. However running the files the framerate got to 25fps in a few seconds. Try doing a small "Build Ram Preview", see if that smoooooths things out.

As I say, Import DVD Camcorder disc has and is working for me.

Freezes
    A thought on the "frozen frames" thing. Is it at all possible that an "intro" or DVD button that contains an MPG video AS a cue "STILL" has been rendered? Maybe this is what you are seeing? Maybe you are seeing, quite correctly PARTS of the authored DVD that are in fact still frames RENDERED as MPGs. That would account for your observations? Yeah?

8. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Smoothness & Freezes!

Apologies here if you have explained previously, but was it that you DID try : File > Import > DVD Camcorder Disc . .and THAT was giving you grief?
    Nope... I had copied the DVDs to my hard drive, and was simply dragging and dropping the VOBs into Vegas, but now that I've done it the proper way (File > Import > DVD Camcorder Disc), it's all fine and dandy! Thanks again, Grazie! You're a life saver.

MS.