Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capturing from VHS

Default Capturing from VHS

Hi,
    I have been working with DV footage for about 2years now and don't have any issues with capturing, editing or exporting. However, I've recently found the need to capture footage off of the television for a documentary I am currently working on. I've recorded the footage to VHS but now I don't know how to capture it onto my PC.
    I have a firewire card and cable etc. but I figure I'm going to need some kind of analog connection or converter. I'm looking for all options but my budget is already stretched thin so the easiest and preferably cheapest method would be best.

Thanks in advance,

-Nick

probably by far your cheapest option is to pay someone who already has the right kit to do it for you - if this is a one-off job.

For example, if you liv e close to me and the clip is short (i.e. a few minutes) from a PAL tape I'll capture it for you for the cost of a bottle of nice beer

If you live close to me, I'll do it for a bottle nice of beer also
    Alan Hodkinson
    at
    Viking Video

3.2 Ghz P4 800FSB CPU, 2Gb DDR400 PC3200 memory, 128Mb AGP ATI Radeon 9200 DDR Graphics, 40 Gb H/D, 250 Gb H/D, 1.5 Tb H/D, NEC ND-2510 dual layer DVD 8X, LG Gsa-4081B DVD, Creative soundblaster live, Windows XP SP1, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements 2.

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I live in Essex plus I have a good few hours of footage to capture. I'm sure I'll have to do it in the future as well so I think I'll just buy the equipment.

I have a normal firewire card but what else do I need? Some sort of analog card? Or a analog to digital converter? I'm not very clued up on this, sorry.

Thanks again,

-Nick

Jessops are currently selling the Pinnacle Studio Movie Box USB for around 90. It is an external box that plugs into your USB 2.0 port and supports DV and analogue sources. It also includes Studio V10 Titanium editing software. Jessops website is Jessops.com - Digital camera, camera, digital dv camcorder and accessories - Jessops. Also Dazzle do a much cheaper USB connector with just analogue connections, VHS and S-video, I think it has audio connections aswell.

Thanks Nikosony.

I decided to buy the Pinnacle Studio Movieboard (the PCI version of the Movie Box you recommended - Amazon.co.uk: Pinnacle Studio MovieBoard Plus PCI (PC): Electronics & Photo ), however, I'm having trouble capturing the footage. I bought a Scart to 2 Phono + S-Video cable to connect the VCR to the movieboard device but, although Studio 10 recognises the card, when I try to capture I only get a black screen. I've also tried capturing with with Premiere Pro 2.0 but it fails to even recognise the device.

I'm starting to get desperate now. Is it likely to be a problem with the movieboard or do I need a better VCR? Or is it something to do with the cable I bought? My VCR only has a Scart output so I don't know what other kind of cable I could get. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Nick

It may be the scart to phono lead that you have.

It may be that the lead is expecting the video signal to flow in the opposite direction, so to speak (ie, from phono to scart, instead of from scart to phono).

Try using a scart lead to 6-way phono connections. This will have 2 sets of audio and video phono connections - one set for signal-in, the other for signal-out. This will ensure that data can be passed in both directions.

An alternative is to get something like this:

AD001 - Scart Adapter - Only 4.49 at www.tvcables.co.uk

This will plug into the back of the VCR and allow you to complete the connection to your capture card using a standard 3-wire phono lead set. The scart adapter needs to be the switchable type.

You can even use an s-video cable instead of the yellow composite line if your capture card supports it. However, my understanding is that you will only see any benefits from using an s-video cable if the VCR itself is S-VHS quality (although I might be wrong on that - maybe someone could verify that one for me....)

PS - I've just done a very quick survey of scart to 3-phono leads - it would appear that the majority of them do have a signal flow from phono to scart.

Witty signature text coming soon...

Thanks for the quick reply. This is the lead i bought - Dixons - Shop for Video Cable - JVC SCART VC-J351 JVC SCART VC-J351 - and what you say sounds very likely. Do you think an adapter like the one you suggested would solve my problem?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Snow View Post
    Do you think an adapter like the one you suggested would solve my problem?

Thanks.
    Without doubt.

Witty signature text coming soon...

Is your video recorder a VHS model or a S-VHS model? If it is a VHS model then you will need a Scart to 3 phonos (1 for composite video - yellow, and 2 for the audio - red and white, assuming it is a stereo model VCR). If it is a S-VHS model then it will be a Scart to S-video cable and again 2 phonos for the audio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast