Thread: HDTV facts and fibs.

Blog Entries

One thing that's really irksome about most 1080p sets is how crap they are at deinterlacing 1080i :(

I love the cable one, it really is so true, There is no difference betweena $100 and a $20 HDMI cable's image quality :P

I actually hate "Home cinema" magazines etc that grade HDMI cable's performences and say things like "Excellent colour seperation compaired to such and such a cable" It's like ayyyyeee...

What's really funny though are those ofc gold plated power cables you can buy bawhwahawhawhaw, fools.

I love people who have $200 S-video cables and ignore the RGB ins on their TV or whatever, brillians, sheer brilliance.
    Last edited by Best_OutRunner; 05-21-2007 at 10:51 PM.
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P

Blog Entries

Cables - yes indeed, looks like a big con to me.

Many years ago I sold very expensive hi fi, we would often have people spend thousands.

Whilst the wisdom of spending 2000 on a cd player is open to debate what was clear to me was that expensive gear sounded nice.

We were told to sell cables hard, suggest to people thay should spend at least 10 percent on cables, this often meant 100s. We stocked some cables that looked like hose pipes, with silver cables ffs, and people brought 'em !

Anyway being the subversive type I challenged my co workers to see if they could spot the good and the bad cables listening blind. They couldnt, 300 quid cables versus 50p - no difference - untill you told them a cable cost more than the average weekly wage, then it sounded amazing.

It's just markting bollox to a vulnerable and naive market. Hi-fi like top end video is a religion for many middle class nerds out there, it's a bit like the car accesorie market for teens; cables are the alloy wheels of the video world, all show no go.

And, guess what - the retail markup on cables was huge....

That said though, There is such a thing as a bad cable and a good cable however, some of the really bad (mostly chinese made to be honest), cables barely have any solder between the wires and the pins, however there is also such a thing as a ridiculously priced cable, which a lot seem to exist of these days.

there are 50 quid Composite Videos out there.... whoever buys them is obviously blind (litterally).
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P

Blog Entries

I recently took a trip to Richer Sounds to get some cabling. The guy in the shop recommended virtually the cheapest cable after I said, 'mate, I know nothing about Hi Fi, but kniow I need some of that cabling stuff'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I recently took a trip to Richer Sounds to get some cabling. The guy in the shop recommended virtually the cheapest cable after I said, 'mate, I know nothing about Hi Fi, but kniow I need some of that cabling stuff'.
    I have a similar story of recommendation for Richer Sounds.

I had probs with my DVD player and phoned up to ask what they had in as a replacement. he told me what was ion and the price and I asked him to put one by for me. At the end of the conversation he asked what was wrong with mine. I told him and he told me how to fix it. I had unknowingly switchit to progressive output and so was getting no picture - d'oh!). Sobasically he had alreadymade the sale and then talked me out of it. Nothing but praise for them here.