Thread: panasonic NV-DS65

Default panasonic NV-DS65

Hello peeps again.

I am currentley using the above camcorder. I have made several home videos and the more i make the better i get.

I would like to break the videography market. Not sure if its a good idea to try and find someone already doing it and try to work alongside them or whether to go it alone so to speak.

The thing is i know the camera i have at present is not adequate to say the least. But i was wondering would it look or be out of place if i was to use for a while until after doing a few videos create some income and then buy a more appropreiate camera.

Any thoughts would be great

cheers

Good training is must, its a whole new ball game filming weddings

Best idea, go for it, join an institute or club..or ring around and offer your services as second camera..
    " Not sure if its a good idea to try and find someone already doing it and try to work alongside them or whether to go it alone so to speak"

in the industry is there any training you can do or is alot of it self taught. Is it a must to jion a institute.

hi

i borrowed the Panasonic NV-DS65 camcoder off my aunty to film my birthday party. but the problem is that I don't know how to get the film off the camcorder and onto the computer so i can edit it, etc. if possible, can you please explain to me how to get what i filmed onto the computer? i'll love you forever lol.

thanks heaps

The ds65 is a nice consumer camcorder, but will definately not be up to any real paid work.

Turning up at a venue as a videographer with a palm held camcorder will just get you laughed at for so many reasons.
    Really at minimum you should consider a canon XM2 or Sony PD150. Which might seem like alot of money to you now, but they would improve the quality of your vids drastically, as well as make you look more professional. A lot of business is generated through recomendations, and turning up with a consumer video camera wont bode well for your reputation. Every tom, dick and harry has one, so why should they hire someone when they've got a mate with the same camera?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, I don't want to put you off, but you wouldn't line up in a Superbike race on a scooter would you?

The equpment is half the battle, skill is the other. Learn how a camera works (one which has propper controll over apperture/shutter/gain/audio) whether that's at college, 'playing' with one or working as an assistant. Don't jump in head first without a clue about white balancing, framing etc, with an everyday camera with no control or real lens claiming that you're worth paying.

I'm not saying you don't know the technicallities of video making, but that it what clients would think of you if you showed them the DS65 without saying "This is the camera i'll be throwing out the window for the 'suicide shot'".

Blog Entries

Top advice from mosh.

And BTW I think my leonardo 250 scooter is better than any superbike !

I have highly been considering the Sony VX9000e or the pd150. As you guys are family with such cameras. Which ways up better in your eye or opinions. I like the ideal of an lcd screen although somewhat not important

Blog Entries

Both those camcorders are now getting a bit old. They're basically the same internally anyway. I would suggest the PD150 or 170 in your case and use the money you save to get a decent tripod and microphone.

But... It's far more to do with your skill than your equipment. Join the IOV (Institute Of Videographers), find a wedding videgrapher and work as an assistant for a few jobs before splashing out on gear. Learn from his/her mistakes before making your own!

Blog Entries

I have thrashed two vx9000 s to death. I wanted a big camera for the 'wow' factor when vox popping and it does the job well.

BUT

It's first gen dv - noisy, smeary, insensitive. Used within it's abilities it produces great results but I couldnt reccomend it unless you really are on a tight budget - my last was only 500 quid.

I might be selling both on e bay soon as a job lot. They have different faults and a keen person could make one good camera from the two.

Ok

I appreciate the main thing with videography is skill. Whether with the camera or the software. Both of those i feel fine with. But i need help obtaining and choosing the right video camera to start with on the next footing.
    So opinions on a descent starting camera would be great guys.

I dont have a big budget and not willing at mo until some work roles in to spend a mass amount.

I do believe a lot of guys here on the site. Started out as hobbiests and then found they had thing for video and went on to wedding videos. I also expect a fair number of guys here are self taught.

It would be nice if there was a course of some discription to home in on some skills. can anyone advise on this also.