Thread: Poor Quality Titles

Default Poor Quality Titles

Hello ... me again ...

I'm having some trouble with Titles in Premier Pro 1.5.

I'm using Ariel Front size 60 and it just looks all blocky on the screen even after rendering.

Any suggestions where I might be going wrong??

Thanks very much

Robin

Define "all blocky" or better yet, provide us with a screen image so we can see it ourselves.

Hi Alan,

Sorry for being so vague. The text looks pixelated ... not very smooth ... like it's been zommed in 500%. I exported a frame as a bitmap and strangely it looks really sharp! However when I view the project on the timeline and when I export it as an avi the text is not very good. I've made sure I've rendered it too.

The same things happens with a logo I've imported. It looks fine as a bitmap but not very clear on the timeline and on the exported movie.

I'm going to try sand re-do the tiltes in Photoshop to see if that helps because I need to finish it this weekend.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

thanks a lot

Robin

That is odd. Perhaps you can recreate your text as a title in premiere? If you can use photoshop for the background (assuming there is one), I've never had any problems with titles in premiere. For the most part, the text tools in Premiere are sufficient. Hope you get it figured out, let us know.

hi guitarfaces .... thanks for your reply.

I've tried creating the titlesw in photoshop and on premier pro but they still look pixelated. The same thing happens with any logos I import.

Do you think it could be anything to do with the settings on premier pro?

thanks

robin

Ok - so I've come across a make-shift solution for this titling problem. Turns out to be a common problem when using PAL settings.

So the way round it seems to be adding an effect to all the footage on tracks below the titles. For example add a 'levels' effect but keep it on 0 so as not to actually make any change. For some reason this seems to up the resolution of the titles. Weird but it worked when I tried it!

robin

I've never seen this before. Makes me wonder if Premire Pro has some sort of 'quick render' option so only every other pixel gets rendered to speed thing up. Just like you can do in After Effects. I'm not aware of such an option but it would fit the situation.

You shouldn't have to add any kind of effect to make your text look good. Sixty point text seems enormous, I only use typefaces in the region of 30 point to 38 point, that's to leave enough space around them and keep them away from the margins. Remember, you have a lot less space on the screen for titles than 'action', the two areas defined in Premiere. Try creating a file in Photoshop that is 768 pixels wide by 576 pixels high, fill it with black and then switch on the guides, which are set to the same sizes as in Premiere. Select a colour for your typeface, try yellow or white and use something like Arial, Verdana or Tahoma, the regular versions of these typefaces have thin strokes so use either a bold, black or demi weight to thicken the strokes. There is a feature in Photoshop to smooth the typeface, it's in a drop down menu beside the point sizes and see if that takes off the sharp edges. When done, flatten the file and save as a .tiff file to keep the quality up.

Smile

For static titiles, I generally make these using CorelDraw (quite an old version, 8 or something). Create a bitmap image, in whatever size you're working in (720 x 576 pixels or whatever).
    Colour the whole image green, add the text. Then import into Premiere and use the green screen key.