Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky to be alive! - I almost died!

Default Lucky to be alive! - I almost died!

So on sat afternoon while driving dorn the motorway towards Bristol I had an accident. I was cruisin down the middle lane of the M4 in torrential rain and the car aquaplaned (for those who dont know what that means: its when the tyres cannaot hold enough water in the tread and thus decided to float ontop of the water surface rather than grip the road.

So there i am and the back end twitches to the left, then the right,then it strats fish tailing like a mad thing until finally going into a massive long spin sliding across the fast lane and into the central reservation barrier grinding backwards along it. A swereving 5 Series BMW missed me by inches while swerveing to avoid me and the Mercedes Van that was behind it in the fast lane - well, as i was sliding backwards down the motorway at 70mph (not every day you get to say that) i was able to see the expression on the guys face - it was one of sheer horror.

I was able to spin the front end back around at the last minute to avoid stopping in the fast lane facing the wrong way. I got the car started again very quickly and wheelspun away to get out of the way of traffic and over onto the hard shoulder and by sheer fluke i stopped under a bridge so i didnt even get rained on!

Now THAT is L U C K Y ! ! !

I made a lil animation of the crash - and there's a couple of photos there too - i am amazed that i was not hit by anyone else and killed and that there was so little damage to the car. - I was able to continue my trip down to Bristol - all was grand!

» lucky to be alive…..
    Last edited by irishmark; 05-15-2007 at 12:58 PM.

I'm glad to hear that you're OK.

Never had you down for a hairdresser's car though....(joke)!

Blog Entries

Amazing Mark... makes me realise just what a lottery life is. Glad you're ok mate.

Blog Entries

crikey - unlucky, then really lucky.

I broke my elbow this week, fell off my mountain bike - no where near as exciting.

Was just about to say I was glad you;re ok after the car incident and then saw the follow up about the bike. Sorry to hear that. I hope you was getting good 'air' though doing it.

Blog Entries

2 accidents, 2 marks - us marks live on the edge - and I wasnt getting good air sadly, just hit a kerb flat out - doh.

Hey Mark. I'm a little late but I wanted to say I'm glad you're OK.
    Take care, mate!

Thanks guys for all the comments. It was a scary thingto happenindeed but i am feeling very lucky andappreciative of life!

Mark - sorry bout the elbow dude - thats a pain in the....um....elbow i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    2 accidents, 2 marks - us marks live on the edge - and I wasnt getting good air sadly, just hit a kerb flat out - doh.
    Oops! Glad Mark's ok form the car accident and hope the elbow sorts itself out soon enough. I just hope it's not your camera holding arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Oops! Glad Mark's ok from the car accident and hope the elbow sorts itself out soon enough. I just hope it's not your camera holding arm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast