Thread: Quick Newb Question (hopefully)

Default Quick Newb Question (hopefully)

Hello. I have Sony Vegas 7 and Sony DVD Architect 4. I have some home videos on Mini DV tapes that I'm wanting to edit, and put on DVD. Just starting with it I first ripped 1 tape with Vegas and ended up with 57 clips totalling 19.6 gigabytes in .avi and .avi.sfk files. I have been just experimenting with this first tape, adding the files, adding text with dates, transitions, etc. My main question is what is the best way to edit these files to be put on 1 DVD? Do I edit everything with Vegas 1st then does DVD Architect shrink (convert) them to fit on a disc, or am I going about it wrong? Thanks.

My method is to:

#1 - Finish my editing within V7

#2 - Render a completed/finished AVI. I do this to ensure I have at least a BIG ViD finished!

#3 - I then render from this finished AVI an MPG2 Video Stream only: MyProject.mpg

#4 - I then I then render from this finished AVI an AC3 audio only: MyProject.ac3

#5 - Open DVDA4

#6 - Locate my newly rendered mpg drag directly onto the MAIN Menu. This appears in the timeline for the video

#7 - Locate my newly rendered AC3 file and drop it UNDER the MPG timeline.

#8 - Preview to check

#9 - Go > Prepare and I take note of any warnings that need my attention and proceed to finish prepare.

#10 - Once I've finished Preparing I then burn

So, to recap: Edit and Render in Vegas > Prepare and Burn within DVDA4

Hope this helps,

Grazie

Ok. Got all that done, thanks! When I preview though, the sound is all choppy. What can I do to correct this? Sorry but this is my 1st time immersing myself with this. Gone pretty good up to this point! Rendered to .mpg (which is .mpg2) and rendered the audio to .ac3. Same name for both except the extension. Just in checking the .ac3 file: I can play the audio just fine using Windows Media Player but it won't play through Vegas or DVD Architecht. Same for the video: plays fine through everything, just the choppy audio.
    Last edited by stinger161; 05-14-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinger161 View Post
    When I preview though, the sound is all choppy.

Just in checking the .ac3 file: I can play the audio just fine using Windows Media Player but it won't play through Vegas or DVD Architecht. Same for the video: plays fine through everything, just the choppy audio.
    #1 - Previewing AC3:

Vegas: Vegas WONT play AC3 files. Try and import it and view the types of files Vegas will import? Do you see AC3? I don't.

DVDA4: I can play/preview AC3 in DVDA4.

WMP: I can't get WMP to play AC3? You can? You sure, you sure you aren't playing the MPG?

#2 - Previewing MPG2 - Video "ONLY" Video stream:

Vegas: Vegas plays/reviews fine

DVDA4: I can play/preview in DVDA4.

WMP: Plays/Previews fine

So, I'm confused as to exactly WHAT you are previewing and WHERE you are previewing it?

That being established - my confusion that is! - the "choppy" audio I can't assist.

However . . . having a further stab at it, please confirm that all through the process you HAVE kept to the SAME format of Audio and Video formats sampling and regional variations - PAL instead of NTSC.

Cheers,

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 05-14-2007 at 07:46 AM.

OK, got it. Yes, played audio (.ac3) through WMP by selecting it from list. Just wanted to see if the audio was not corrupted somehow. Video was done in NTSC and audio in .ac3. What happened was when I 1st dragged the video (the .mpg) into the menu and then dragged the .ac3 into it it caused a choppy audio. Trying it again I just dragged the .mpg into it and saw the audio bar contained the audio waves, previewed it and Voila! Played fine with no choppy audio! Thanks for the assistance! I'm sure my next project will go a lot smoother!!! These are both very intricate programs and I'll definitely keep reading here to stay up to speed on how to get the most out of my projects. Thanks again Grazie!