Thread: HDD camcorder, MPEG-2 format

Default HDD camcorder, MPEG-2 format

I have the Sony DCR-SR300 HDD camcorder, and both Sony Vegas 7 and Adobe Elements software. I know the disadvantages of the HDD camcorders, in reguards to the video already being compressed, and the pro's prefering DV AVI.

My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of converting the compressed MPEG-2 video off my HDD camcorder to a different format such as AVI prior to editing it?

I don't seem to be having any problems editing the MPEG-2 format in Sony Vegas thus far. It would seem to me that changing the format would cause even more quality loss then just leaving it in MPEG-2 format while editing. Is there some advantage to changing the MPEG-2 video to AVI, that would offset the small quality loss I may have? Thanks for the help!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post

My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages of converting the compressed MPEG-2 video off my HDD camcorder to a different format such as AVI prior to editing it?
    Advantage: DV AVI files are easier on the CPU when it comes to editing, compared to MPEG. Your productivity should increase. You will have a whole range of NLE options open to you.

Disadvantage: Conversion time.

If you do decide to convert then you should install and use an appropriate DV AVI codec, such as that offered by Panasonic (it's free).

Ok, I understand the part about AVI's being easier on the CPU and my productivity increasing. What are NLE options, im quite new at this, sorry. Along with conversion time, will I lose quality over leaving the video in MPEG-2 format? I'm guessing that Vegas does not already have a DV AVI codec installed? Thanks for the help.

Scott

Sorry. NLE = Non-linear Editor = video editing software.

Most, if not all, NLE's have been designed to edit DV AVI files. MPEG2 was originally used as a distribution format (eg DVD) rather than an editing one (then came HDV).

Vegas won't have a DV AVI codec of its own - it will make use of the one in Windows.

As long as you convert the MPEG2 into an AVI using a DV AVI codec you shouldn't notice much quality loss.

There are loads of help guides on converting MPEG2 to DV AVI files. Take a look at VideoHelp.com for more info.