Thread: Sony TRV 245E camcorder fault

Default Sony TRV 245E camcorder fault

My Sony TRV 245E Video 8 tape type digital camera has an intermittent fault whereby it will often show a fast flashing tape eject message, even though it nowhere near the end of tape, and refuse to play or record a tape. Ejecting and reinserting the tape sometimes clears the fault but more usually I just leave it for a few days and magically it may work again. Viewfinder image and everything else is fine.

Is this a known Sony fault? Is it cheap to repair?

No error codes or other icons appear to indicate the fault type.

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Condensation maybe?

Whatevere it is though, I'm sure it won't be cheap to repair. Given that, respectfully, it's an older model, it'll likely be a better option to invest in something newer and easier to capture and edit.

I agree with Alan. You should be looking for a new camera. Digital.

Good thoughts but 1) I canít reuse all my Video 8 tapes if I get a newer model. It is a digital model but uses 'analogue' tapes. 2) as this is the second Sony camera I have had that has failed at about 2 years from new can I be sure that splashing out hundreds of pound yet again on a new one will not lead me to another dead camera in 2 years time? It could be more cost effective mending this one instead. Are the newer type of cameras any more reliable?

I was quoted about £70 by to fix it. They assumed a sensor fault such as the end of tape sensor. Are they any good?

How intermittent is the fault?

If it were me, I'd make the next new camera purchase a miniDV camera, with DV-IN enabled, together with a stack of miniDV tapes and 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable.

I'd then transfer the footage from your digital 8 tapes over to miniDV.

If the digital 8 camera cannot accomplish this because of its fault then of course you must first consider shelling out for the repair.

An alternative is to borrow another digital 8 camera to do the transfers?

Or look on eBay.

The bottom line is that you have to get yourself off the digital 8 format without delay. Let it go.

I notice that digi service fail to make clear on their website who operates the business. A domain name lookup provides no assistance either. If you do employ these guys, find out WHO you are contracting with.
    Last edited by bert6280; 05-15-2007 at 05:54 PM.

I experienced this problem on my ancient original 8mm Video camera, eventually it stopped turning on in camera mode but was still happy to go into play mode, then that stopped working as well, in the end I smashed it up into little bits and threw them all away Not Environment friendly, but very very fun.
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P