Thread: free video editing software for vista

Default free video editing software for vista

I am looking for some free(but good) video editing software with a little bit more than windows movie maker has. I have vista and it is hard to find sofware that will work with it

google "Avid Free". I'm not familiar with it in any way but I understand it's a freebie. No idea how good it is and no idea whether it's vista compatible.

Don't expect the World for free though. You get what you pay for in this World.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    google "Avid Free". I'm not familiar with it in any way but I understand it's a freebie. No idea how good it is and no idea whether it's vista compatible.

Don't expect the World for free though. You get what you pay for in this World.

Actually no lol, there's an Amazing free open source video app for Linux called "cinelerra" or something (cant remember exact name) that could give Adobe Premiere Elements a run for its money lol. Sadly tho there's no windows version of it, yet. (give it time someone will port it eventually it always happens).

However, Avid free is pretty crap, I wouldn't really say its better than movie maker, I'd say it has just as many limitations, just different limitations.
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P

There is one I just learned about yesterday, you might want to give it a try. Its called Wax:

Wax - [Download]
    -Ethan

Wax is a plugin, is it not???
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Wax is a plugin, is it not???
    No. I am not an expert, but if you download it, you get a video editor somewhat like vegas. Here is a screenshot:

and here is the youtube video where I learned about it:

It is pretty cool. But I don't know much about it yet, this summer I want to look at some tutorials on it.
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 12-12-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    -Ethan

I run both Linux and windows, I have cinelerra, it's not that great yet. There's also a free effects package that's not that great yet either called jahshaka.

In general any open source video software for linux isn't very good yet. I'm keeping my eyes open on events and it is very gradually getting there. In the open source world these two programs seem to be the most promising, they are getting better all the time.

Ubuntu just released a version of it's free opperating system called ubuntu studio. It's designed with multi media in mind, and has instant free access to all sorts of photo, animation, graphics, audio and video software. The video side of things are the weak link though. Saying that, there is a nice open source mpeg splitter around that does the job (only splitting on I frames of course) with out re-encoding.

And there's even the beryl 3d desktop environment, completely free, and blows vista out the water.

David.