Thread: is this a good PC

Question is this a good PC

Hey guys,

Iím new to this page and this is really good, I found a lot of good information.

Here is my question, Iím building my own PC and I was wonder is this should be enough for HDV editing.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 GHz
    2GB of RAM 800MHz
    WD 500Gb 16mb Cache SATA 7200 RPM
    Samsung 18x DVD Burner
    Radeon X1650xt 256MB DDR3 256-bit PCI-Xpress 600 MHz Core clock DVI
    Samsung 22Ē 2ms DVI widescreen LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Pro
    Adobe Premier

If you think that I need something better that what I have right now, please let me know.
    I import video from Canon XH-A1.

Thank you again

I would personally have 2 hard drives. The one you have specified looks good as a storage drive. I'd add a smaller drive for my OS and program files. 160GB would probably do it.

I'm envious of the rest of the spec.

Out of interest, what is the budget for this system, and from where are you sourcing the components?

P.S. Love the camera

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    I would personally have 2 hard drives. The one you have specified looks good as a storage drive. I'd add a smaller drive for my OS and program files. 160GB would probably do it.

I'm envious of the rest of the spec.

Out of interest, what is the budget for this system, and from where are you sourcing the components?

P.S. Love the camera

I properly used another HD, that sound good. But still all my information will be save after I done I an External 500 GB HD and back to DV tape.

I will spend around $1,500 including shipping for complete system. I got it shipper because Iím the doing the labor. All part I got from new eggs com. They have a really good price and a lot of good reviews.

Thank you again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by el yuma View Post
    I properly used another HD, that sound good. But still all my information will be save after I done I an External 500 GB HD and back to DV tape.
    The point about having a second (internal) hard drive is not so much about data backup.

Premiere simply works better/faster/more efficiently when the its program files (and the operating system files) are stored on a separate hard drive from the main DV AVI files.

I think this is true for most NLE's.

As Bert suggested I would go for a much smaller drive for your os and programs and defenitily use a second INTERNAL drive dedicated for your video and nothing else, here you can take a 500 or 750gb disk.
    Maybe you should have a look at the new quadcores like the Q6600 which allready have shown big speedgains compared to a "regular" dual core processor if it is utilised by editing software which uses all avalable cores. prices will continue to drop on these quadcores and they can't be beaten when it comes to performance (But only if your software supports multicore)
    Also get memory which runs at 667mhz, you might safe a buck and wont notice any performance differences

Quote Originally Posted by noa View Post
    As Bert suggested I would go for a much smaller drive for your os and programs and defenitily use a second INTERNAL drive dedicated for your video and nothing else, here you can take a 500 or 750gb disk.
    Maybe you should have a look at the new quadcores like the Q6600 which allready have shown big speedgains compared to a "regular" dual core processor if it is utilised by editing software which uses all avalable cores. prices will continue to drop on these quadcores and they can't be beaten when it comes to performance (But only if your software supports multicore)
    Also get memory which runs at 667mhz, you might safe a buck and wont notice any performance differences
    thank you again for the info.

about the processor, my motherboard support quadcores, i just going to wait until the price drop a little more. and for the memory i got this one because it was on special. hard drive i going to buy a secong 160 Gb for OS and the others stuff

thank you

So if you buy a laptop for editing (nothing High Def), is it better to partition the drives? I say this because havent heard of any laptop that uses more than one hard drive.

It's a great spec PC. Do take heed of the 2nd INTERNAL hard drive observations though. They are for real.

For SD video editting in Premiere it's easily more than you need.

For HDV editting in Premiere you could hit frustrations depending on specific s/w versions you have.

The spec you have is probably bare minimum for NATIVE HDV editting in Premiere Pro 2 (and presumably CS3).

Assuming when you say 'Premiere' you actually mean 'Premiere Pro' (or you won't be able to edit HDV at all). So assuming you have v1.5 or higher and take this HDV thing seriously then well worth consider is Cineform Aspect HD (or even Prospect) and you can edit a large bundle of your HDV requirement in real time and your system (as specd) will fly.

Oh, and yeah, nice camera. Not heard anything bad about that beast yet!

One other thing I would add. Make sure your get yourself a good comfy chair as well. You'll appreciate it, believe me!