Thread: Avid or Premiere pro

1. Default Avid or Premiere pro

I have versions of Avid media composer and Premiere pro but im ot sure which to use.
    I know how to use premiere pro and the program seems to work well however the industry uses avid so I should start using that more.

Avid is just so annoying though, the windows dont stay where I put them, they snap right back to the middle of the left monitor and there are a few capture problems.
    Is it really worth getting through these problems and the learning curve to use it.

Basically, is Avid better than Premiere?

Quote Originally Posted by rgrebby View Post
    I know how to use premiere pro and the program seems to work well however the industry uses avid so I should start using that more.

I'd use whatever you get on best with. The 'industry' does not exclusively use Avid. The industry is very wide - it's not just confined to BBC broadcasting, for example. There are a number of contributors here who are in the industry, in the sense that they are video professionals. I sense that most of them use non-Avid systems. Vegas and Adobe users abound.

What are your ambitions in the 'industry'?

3. Default

Im mainly heading towards work as a camera operator but im currently doing a documentry on the ghosts in a local village.
    Ive spent time working with news teams in the editing rooms as well and they use avid and it seems that most people think that if camera crews can edit it helps in the overall process.

The end game is possible filming wildlife but thats down the road.

Premiere is mainly directed at semi pro's and avid media composer for production houses. Avid is very difficult to get used to if you are a premiere user, but if you think it is a requirement for your job meaning you have to work with it anyway at the end then you haven't got any choice I think.

5. Default

I think I might just stick to premiere, I have a good working Knowledge of NLE programs and they work pretty much the same. Plus ive got aftereffects which I sure I should figure out how to use.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrebby View Post
    I think I might just stick to premiere, I have a good working Knowledge of NLE programs and they work pretty much the same. Plus ive got aftereffects which I sure I should figure out how to use.
    For AE you can find great tutorials here and check out the Creative Cow Media Pros Community site for a whole bunch of tutorials