Thread: Trimming or expanding clips...

1. Question Trimming or expanding clips...

Is there any way of being able to trim or expand the beginning and ends of your clips by simply clicking on the part you wish to edit and tapping either left or right with your arrow keys to get a precise, "frame-perfect" cut? I ask because, currently, the only way I know how, is to zoom all the way in, and drag the clip back and fourth until I'm happy with the result... Which I find to be a little tedious and drawn out.

MS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Schmuck View Post
    Is there any way . . .
    This is a great, GREAT question. And really does get to the core of what, I feel, is the virtue of Vegas. Once a person gets their head around this then Vegas truly shows how easy it is - and I mean this!!

Hold tight!!!

. .and there are many combinations of these too . . ! These first 3 methods are some quick, sketchy methods I use.

#1 - SPLIT MONITOR 1

i) Place an Event on the Timeline.

ii) Highlight the Event and Hold down the ALT Key

iii) Now, DRAG across the face of the EVENT with your mouse - Observe that your PREVIEW screen is now split into 2 parts. On the LEFT is the START of your EVENT and on the RIGHT is the END of your Event! Excellent!

#2 - SPLIT MONITOR 2

ii) Hold down the ALT Key

iii) Now, DRAG the START of EVENT with your mouse - Observe that your PREVIEW screen is now split into 2 parts. On the LEFT is the START of your EVENT or that point at which that EVENT begins and on the RIGHT is the END of your Event, which is being updated! Do the same procedure but this time DRAG the END of the Event and you will see the START getting longer.

#3 - SPLIT MONITOR 3

ii) Hold down the ALT + CTRL Key!

iii) See how the EVENT LOOPS but can be MOVED up and down the Timeline.

#4 - SCRUB > DRAG > PLOP:
    Use the Trimmer to get what you want. I Scrub in trimmer and either drag LOOP to Timeline

#5 PUNCHING!!
    OR punch the IN from or OUT from Icons. This fills the space exactly up there on the Timeline.

#6 SUBBIES!
    Make a Subclip. You can do this from the Trimmer OR the Timeline.

#7 . .and THE One!! Numeric Keypad 7 & 9!!!

ii) Click event

iii) Select EITHER NumKey "7" for FRONT/START of event ( see the red highlight?) OR "9" for REAR/END of event

iv) Now click EITHER NumKey "1" for TRIMMING START - OR NumKey "3" for TRIMMING END.

Voila!

So lots of ways to do this. I vary and learn which "work-flow" goes with which. There is neither a RIGHT or WRONG way. It is just the way that gets me to the narrative of what I'm doing as fast as possible.

Hope this helps .. .

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 05-08-2007 at 08:36 AM.

. .and Marcus, you just nudged me to re-read something and I've learnt too!

Use the Mouse Wheel in conjunction with the Edge Trimming: Ctrl+Shift +Mouse wheel. Now THAT'S magic!!

Thanks Marcus!

G

4. Thumbs up

Grazie - Perfectly explained. Thanks again!... I'm feeling far more "Avidy" now.

MS.

Or, you can move one frame at a time by holding the Alt key and curser left or right one frame at a time.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction