Thread: Help

Default Help

HI new on here so hello to you all well i have a problem you can help me with, i hope, my son is getting wed in december and next year i go to nasa so i want a dv camcorder to record both events i am on a budgit cos of the expence of both events so would ask your advice on what camcorder would be right for both of them i dont trust the shop sales persons they just want a sale, night vision is a must thanks all

You don't need a big budget nowadays. The price of standard defintion miniDV cameras are falling daily as HDV starts to take hold.

Asking this forum for camera recommendations may not actually help - everyone will end up recommending their own.

A good site for independent camera reviews is Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons

Another good one is Learn Video Production, Digital Video Editing, Camcorder Reviews, Videography

If you want to have a go at computer-editing your footage, stick to tape-based miniDV models. DVD and hard-drive based cameras are not suited to editing (and are more expensive and tend to produce poorer pictures).

You mentioned nightvision. Sony have tended to feature 'nightmode' settings on their cameras over the years. Their range might be a good place to start. For me, Sony, Panasonic and Canon offer the best ranges of consumer camcorders.

Thanks for the info Bert every little helps i was thinking about Sony dv seen a few on the web and they seem to have what i want. i will get back and let you know how i get on thanks again
    webbo

I wouldn't go placing too much emphasis on a low light shooting feature. I know every camcorder today can shoot in 'complete darkness'. This is fine if you are happy with grainy, dull and flat images that look terrible. You need lights, even modest lights with 60 to 100 watts output will certainly light dark corners and that's all. For the wedding video, get a mini DV camcorder with a mic socket to record the exchange of vows or similar in other religions. A tripod is also a good buy as it is difficult to hold a camcorder in the same positon for long periods of time, without getting arm ache. Depending on your budget you may be able to get a 3CCD Panasonic Mini DV which will give an improved picture over 1CCD camcorders IMHO. Have you got any editing software, you've probably used Windows Movie Maker 2 but it is limited. Something like Adobe Premiere Elements 3 is not expensive but can do a lot more than WMM2, especially in its output options. You may be able to find a cheap version of Adobe Premiere Elements 2 and it will do everything you want.

Thanks for the info Nikosony, i have splashed out on a sony mini dv recorder and so far had some good results the play back on the tv direct from the camcorder are very good and i have 'Studio 8' now to record to dvds again good results so far. i did have ' studio 7' but had poor recordings 8 is alot better windows movie maker also had good results put i couldnt get it to record to disc. thanks for all you help i think its a case of playing with the camcorder and pc to see what gets the best results now thanks
    Webbo

I also have a small tape rewinder and it's a real life saver. I got it from a company called Hama in the UK, don't know if they still do them. It has rewind and fast forward plus an auto stop sensor. You can either run it off batteries or purchase an adaptor to run it off the mains. Small enough to pick up in one hand. Its model number is 43047.