Thread: Capturing devices

1. Default Capturing devices

hi guys, am i right in understand that capturing video of your camera can damage the heads? also i have heard you are suppose to use the same make tapes (and Cleaning tapes) as your camera any truth in this?

i have a canon xl1s and want to keep it tip top condition. their for i was wondering if its worth buying a dv recorder, but i find that they are very expensive. so i was wondering if i was to buy and old mini dv camera of ebay if that would loose quality when its imported ??

cheers for any advice you can give me

paul

Hi, Paul. It would be a shame, indeed, to waste valuable hours on the heads of your XL1S. But the good news is that DV transfer is lossless so you can do it with the XL1S, or with a super duper expensive DV deck, or with a cheap MiniDV camcorder you buy off eBay and it can be broken as long as the playback function and the Firewire output are working. So $ 200 - 300 or even less can be the answer to your problem.
    Also, it is recommended that you stick to the same brand of tapes, because they are not made equal, and limit the use of abrasive cleaning tapes.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
    Also, it is recommended that you stick to the same brand of tapes, because they are not made equal, and limit the use of abrasive cleaning tapes.
    hi thanks for your help, so its canon tapes i need, pitty they are no where near as cheep as the sony or other brands.

oh well

thanks for your help

paul
    Canon XL1s Libec Tripod Panasonic Shotgun Mic and some other stuff

Some of my videos on here

http://www.csesalford.com/psvt06/evans-p

4. Default

Was going to ask the same thing.
    So it doesnt matter that the quality of the XL1 is so much better than a cheap MiniDV cam?

I don't think you need to use the same brand tapes as the camera.

I have used JVC with my old Canon for years - never had a problem.

Find a tape that is reliable and stick with it. Don't worry about matching brands. Use a cleaning tape only when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrebby View Post
    Was going to ask the same thing.
    So it doesnt matter that the quality of the XL1 is so much better than a cheap MiniDV cam?
    Not a jot.

The XL1 records excellent footage, as does any prosumer camera. But it's only recorded onto the tape as 0's and 1's. The firewire interface is merely a means of transferring the data from camera to PC (and back again). You could take a tape from a top-end camera and use an entry level model to transfer its contents to PC. As Mihai suggests, the camcorder could be half-broken and still do the job, so long as the VCR half and firewire connection were working OK.

If you search camcorder listings on eBay for 'spares repairs', you will come across some bargains. A camcorder with a cracked lens or defective LCD will go for a song; to most people the thing is useless. To those in the know, it's still a tapedeck.

eBay.co.uk - spares repairs items in MiniDV Camcorders Finder

7. Default

it must also depend on the heads on the camera that you play from?

No, not at all. Digital transfer is simple: 1 or 0. You either have it, or you don't.