Thread: The age old question: to Mac or not to Mac!

Default The age old question: to Mac or not to Mac!

Hi Guys,

I posted a message a few months ago about my brother wanting a video editing machine. I've done a fair amount of research and have come up with three machines:

The Mac:
    PMG5 1.6GHz 256Mb/80Gb/SD
    512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM DIMM
    Apple Cinema 23" HD Display
    Lacie 250Gb Porsche FW Drive
    Final Cut Pro HD

The PC:
    Matrox RT.X100 XTREME Pro Suite
    Lian Li PC-60 USB Case with 420Watt PS
    Pentium 4 - 3.2GHZ 800FSB CPU
    Asus P4P800-Deluxe Motherboard
    Sony Floppy Disk Drive
    Sony 16X DVD Rom Drive
    Pioneer A07 DVD Burner Kit
    1GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
    Matrox G550 Dual Display Card
    80GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive (system)
    160GB 7,200RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive (AV Drive)
    Multimedia Keyboard
    Microsoft Wheel Optical Mouse
    LG 17" LCD Monitor
    Microsoft Windows XP Pro
    SoundBlaster Live DE5.1

The Avid:
    Avid Xpress DV
    Dell Precision Workstation 650 with 2.8GHz or higher Intel® XeonTM dual processor
    NVIDIA® Quadro4® 980XGL graphics card
    40 GB or larger IDE boot drive
    1 GB memory
    ATTO 3300 and 3305 Fibre Channel host adapters.
    Alacritech® Gb Ethernet card
    ATTO UL3D SCSI controller
    etc.

Now the big question...! Which one? Or, maybe I've missed a product? What do YOU suggest? I'm trying to create a low-cost pro-system here - not a very easy thing to do! I'm open minded - or more to the point, my brothers open minded. He's happy to use Premiere, Avid or FCP. Software is not so much the issue. Finding the right hardware for the job is the hard part - as I'm sure you guys have found out!

I'm in Melbourne, Australia and have sent quote requests out in all directions. Prices vary dramatically!

What do you think? Comments, suggestions, etc. not welcome - they're NEEDED!

Thanks guys (and girls!!!)...

~fergz!

Default News Update!

Updated PC Specs:

I've decided I like the Matrox Parhelia graphics card better!

"The new Parhelia board […] has the capability of outputting to two video monitors and a TV screen simultaneously. This feature provides an important enhancement with many different video editing programs, including Adobe Premiere and Avid Xpress DV."
    - Bob Wolenik - Camcorder & Computer Video Magazine

Matrox parhelia is nice but the rt.x100 card gives you the ability to send the video overlay to a TV.

Personally, i decided to save myself £200 by not choosing the parhelia and going with a different Matrox dual head (can't remember the code off hand sorry but think it's a 5700). But I am goinf to start with a single (decent) CRT and not two monitors.

Also, if you're serious then I'd reconsider the 17" TFT. If you have space then spend the same money on two (half decent?) CRTs and get a better picture and two for the price of one. Needless to say I'm not really a fan of TFT s and the image quality is typically naff for any sort of graphics editing. Just my opinion based on what I've seen to date.

Other than that I would suggest that the choice will revolve around the s/w you prefer. Each spec'd out rig has different s/w so which do you prefer to use? I like Adobe Premiere so the decision would be easy for me.

Default Video Editing...

Matrox parhelia is nice but the rt.x100 card gives you the ability to send the video overlay to a TV.
    Oh, ok. Didn't know this... I'll just stick with the Matrox G550 Dual Display Card then!

Also, if you're serious then I'd reconsider the 17" TFT.
    Yeah, I don't know why I put down the LCD on that posting?!?! Space isn't an issue - cost is, so yeah, I will be going with x2 CRT monitors as opposed to x1 LCD!

I like Adobe Premiere so the decision would be easy for me.
    Well that's the problem I guess. If I can find a Apple system that is powerful enough to run FCP to its fullest abilty, for a good price, I'll get that. If a PC that can run Premiere to it's fullest capacity for cheaper, I'll get that. If a turnkey Avid Xpress DV system is cheaper - well, I'll get that!

Understand what I'm getting at?

I'm certain that I can pull the same fantastic edit on a 2 billion dollar FCP machine and on a 2 billion dollar Premiere machine. It's finding a system that will work to its fullest for the cheapest that is the problem...

Thanks for your advice!