Thread: sony DCR-SR30E

Default sony DCR-SR30E

Hi I have recently brought a sony DCR-SR30E HDD camcorder, The problem i have is with editing the footage. The supplied software seemed abit deficent on effects and didnt seem that easy to use. so i tried windows movie maker which seems to have everything i require at the moment as im very new to all this. The problem is WMM cant be used with HDD cameras so im told.My question is what do i need to edit, also the lead supplied to connect to the pc is USB but i have read that fire wire is much better. Is it possible to buy a firewire cable but with a miniUSB plug so can connect to the camera and replace the original USB cable.
    Many thanks colin

Quote Originally Posted by colingo View Post
    Is it possible to buy a firewire cable but with a miniUSB plug so can connect to the camera and replace the original USB cable.
    Many thanks colin
    I'm pretty sure the answer to this is a definite 'no'.

I'm sorry to be so blunt here, but you made a bad camera purchase if you intend to edit easily. The footage is recorded by your camera in MPEG format. This is much less suited to editing than DV AVI format, which is what standard definition miniDV tape-based cameras use.

If changing the camera is not an option, I'd suggest transferring your footage to your PC via USB as per instructions. Then convert it to DV AVI before editing from there. There is plenty of advice within these forums that cover this issue.

I'm afraid to say that the manufacturer of your camera did not anticipate that customers might actually want to significantly edit any footage they took with it.

So if i convert to dv avi will i be able to edit with windows movie maker.
    colin

Quote Originally Posted by colingo View Post
    So if i convert to dv avi will i be able to edit with windows movie maker.
    colin
    Yes, as well as many other editing programs.

I have bought the same camera and have to say I am absolutely fuming here. I cant believe they would sell a camera on the basis of recording to a HD for easy transfer to a PC and it wont work in video editing software - I MEAN SERIOUSLY WHAT USE IS THIS CAMERA!?!?

I am in a predicament here because I bough this camera on behalf of my work to use for recording video diaries and making them into movies. What are my options here?
    - I cant take the camera back - had it too long
    - I have a month's worth a footage I need to create a movie out of
    - What other software can I use which supports this format?
    - What should I have bought instead and why doesnt the camera come with any Sony branding video editing software like usual?

Would really appreciate any help on this im pulling my hair out here (very disappointed in Sony - went for this camera exactly because I DIDNT want to run into these problems) :-(

Thanks in advance for any info

Bridgstfer

Thumbs down Sony Hdd Junk

HI Thats exactly the way i feel about this cam, sadly i got mine for xmas so im out of time for returning it. Have you tried contacting Sonys customer care to see what there responce is. I should think they must be quite ashamed of this very sub standard product.If you fire a letter of to them and post a copy here, i will aswell its worth a try if nothing else it will let others know that sony camcorders are of dubious quality.