Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropped frames during capture...then edit

Default Dropped frames during capture...then edit

OK so I've captured my hour of footage and I now have to sync it with the other 2 videos already captured...so how do I deal with dropped frames...how do you guys deal with it....insert a cut and slide back by 1/25th sec ...make a bigger cut...delete what I dont nee then try to realign...

just curious to see if anyone else has a work around.

You shouldn't have dropped frames!

Is this dropped frames on the tape or during capture?
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

I know....but unfortunately...the info at the end of the capture said "Dropped frames 3" and I don't have the tape any longer....I know...I know....don't say it....so thats why I'm looking for advice....

cheers

Have you identified the precise points at which the frames were dropped?

3 isn't that many. I can't tell precisely what you mean when you say sync it with two other videos. Are they 3 videos of the same event recorded with 3 cameras?

My first reaction to this issue is that 3 frames over an hour is diddly squit. Will anyone notice a 3 frame misalignment?

Hi bert, yes...its a multicam "project" can't for the life of me figure out why they happened during capture though....my worry was that I'm assuming that 3 frames dropped equates to 3/25th of a second (please anyone ...keep me right here...or have I lost the plot) and that is quite a vbit when you're trying to use one audio track thats not on the dropped frame vid...I realise I could be worrying over nothing

Torby

Default Dropped Frames

TORBY, I hear ya...

I get dropped frames almost everytime I "capture" from my video camera to my PC! To tell you the truth, I just always assumed the very few dropped frames that I get each time (about 3), were from the unclean beggining and end of the capture...??? Does nobody else experience this? Perhaps there's a cleaner way to capture?

Thanks to all...

If it is a multicam make a cut at the dropped frame and re-align then don't use that feed at that point. This will also help with syncing live video with recorded audio, as you will be able to re-align clips were the sync runs out slightly

I appologise if you know the following,

But you really shouldn't be getting dropped frames if you are using firewire to capture. For the amount of footage you are using, video capture should be to a completely seperate internal HDD (Not seperate partition or external) that is reserved for video and project files only(No OS). Keep it clean of rubbish and defrag regularly and when it gets towards 3/4 full start emptying it to a back up drive because performance is seriously affected when you get to this point and beyond.

Mike.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Hi torby

What is the spec of the computer you did the capture on?

im not sure if it applys to u guys, but in my case, i found out if u are only doing video capture and have nothing else running on ur comp, i didnt get one dropped frame. but when i was listening to music and goin on the internet, i got as many as 15 dropped frames.

I'm beginning to wonder if there was some sort of "background process" going on myself...it is a fairly hi spec PC and all video is on separate HDs...the only thing that springs to mind is there's a "built in" blue tooth unit....and once in a while you might hear the "bing-bong" windows sound...as if the blue tooth receiver was enabling/disabling itself....might be enough to cause a glitch....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast