Thread: Processing Cool Look?

Default Processing Cool Look?

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I'm trying like hell to find a solution to my problem. I'm using Adobe Premier Pro 1.5.

How do you get DV footage to look cooler? I'm not talking about Magic Bullet and similar filters because these don't achieve the effect I'm talking about.

I'm sure the answer lies in how you render your final cut and the codec you use. When I export using Microsoft DV AVI it looks just like I want but I end up with a almost un-noticable horizontal blind effect on darker areas of the video, but it's there.

When I use Media Encoder and render as an MPEG2-DVD I don't get the blind effect but I also don't get the look I want and the frames still have the motion of the original camera footage which is really what I'm trying to get rid of.

I'm happy to use DV AVI to export but it's the blind effect that's putting me off.

Anyone any thoughts or any pointers?

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Respectfully, you did everything except tell exactly what effect you are after.

From the description "cool effect" ( which is really all you've given us by mena of explaining what you what) I woul dautomatically assume you did mean the likes of Magic Bullet and th elikes (i.e. increase blujes a bit).

So then, what do you really want?

Bournemouth, UK

If you are trying to get rid of camera movement using the steadymove plug in, then this will make the interlace lines of DV much more noticeable.

Try exporting the clip you are going to try and steady, making sure there is a couple of extra seconds at each end for transitions or adjusting the edit slightly, and choose the de-interlace option in the export settings. Add the new file to the timeline and add the steadymove filter that clip instead.

This will remove the lines across the screen. With sudden movement of the camera there will be motion blur and this can look like ghosting when the footage becomes steady.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Cheers folks, I realise that this is an awkward one to answer. I have trawled the net looking for the solution. I could find out what to do by visiting a production company and watch exactly what they do when finalising a production, but sadly I don't know anyone who works in one.

Perhaps "Cool" isn't the best description of what I'm trying to achieve, but I think I've sussed it now. I've used the Panasonic DV codec to render and I don't get the lines mentioned in my first post and I get the result I'm after.

However I doubt that TV companies would use a DV codec so I'm still not sure if this is the best practice.