Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: imac

Default imac

Are there any mac users here? I'm planning to upgrade my pc and editing software by the end of this year to be ready for hd material. I know it's a bit early but having seen a preview of final cut studio 2 which is almost half cheaper then adobe production suite, (Ok adobe does have more to offer like photoshop but I am more interested in an editing suite which can handle a variety of hd formats.) I got realy interested.

Only thing is mac prizes, an Imac which is hardly upgradable comes with a nice screen but is actually more a big overpriced notebook.

The macpros are then again state of the art but at a 2500euro starting price not really cheap.

How is final cut studio handling on a "simple" 2gig, 17inch screen or 2,16 gig, 20inch screen imac, anyone using it here combined with hd material?
    Does editing or capturing cause problems on an external harddrive?

Hola senor,

I am a recent convert to Macs and will never go back to a PC no matter what the costs. I use Final Cut Studio along with a 2.66 Mac Pro, 8 gig RAM, 1.75 Terrabytes storage (3 x 500, 1 x 250 drives) and to top that a 23" HD Apple Monitor. Yes mucho dinero, but the best system I have ever used. The Mac boots up in 22 secs ready for use (how sad is that).......its a fast serious machine, that simply works. I have seen too many PC's in the past years break down with that horrible message "Dumping Physical memory"....that just does not happen on Macs.

I am a professional Photographer that has seen the error in stills and I am now shooting video. I am now converting all teh PC's at teh studio (3) to new Mac Pro systems, one maybe an iMac...

Rest Assured they will never be replaced with PC's

Goi and get your Mac now.....

Marcus

Blog Entries

Objectively speaking - a imac is a fine pc but for editing hd the more power you can afford the better.

Upgradeability is a very useful option to have.

Oh - my PC boots in about 30 - 40 seconds, when it was new and had only a bit of stuff installed it was 15seconds.... and I have no idea what a 'physical dump' is unless it's something to do with the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I have no idea what a 'physical dump' is unless it's something to do with the toilet.

Thanks marcus for the answer though the mac pro is not really an option for me, I'm more interested how the imac performs combined with external drives. I think I will post my question again on a mac forum because it seems that there are not many mac users here.

I also find it very funny how macusers can withstand the urge of breaking down windowssystems. It appears that problems with macs are never talked about, I read many articles about macs arriving DOA, serious problems with broken motherboards, fried powersupplies and bugs in their OS nobody wants to talk about. I read user comments saying they experienced crashes as well.
    When it all comes to it, a mac is a bit better, meaning more stable and virusfree, but a well build and tuned windows platform is equally good, not taken the virus problem into consideration but that is often a user problem.

My interest in mac just was in regard to final cut studio as it looked real impressive, the only thing I am afraid about is the new (steep?) learning curve when switching to a new platform and how a "simple" imac deals with the whole hd editing workflow combined with external disks.

I have an 'older' 2Ghz dual core imac, with 2gb RAM, and it handles HD fine. I use FCP Studio, and have no probs.

I posted in another thread somewhere on here, as i tested how much it would take before it started to struggle, using a one minute 1080i clip I managed to add about 6-8 hardcore effects (distortions, colour tints, motion...) including keying over another layer, before if had trouble playing back in real time, without rendering.

Just make sure it has AT LEAST 128MB Vram, PREF. 256MB.

Are you using external drives to capture your footage and if so, does it make any difference if you are using firewire or usb?
    Have you always worked with fcp or have you used premiere pro on a windows pc before, I have no idea what to expect if I make a switch, do you think there are big differences in handling fcp compared to premiere pro f.i. ?

Yes, the majority of my footage is on f/wire external drives. Firewire is more suited to streaming data than usb which is better for transferring data packets. so working with video from an external drive is best done through f/wire.

Even using the slower firewire 400 i've not had a problem editing SD footage from an external drive, but i must admit i've not tried HD through 400, so can't comment on that really, but I would try to use 800 if possible.

I have used premiere pro on windows, and must admit it took a little while to adjust fo FC, but after using it for about a month found it much more intuitive and easier to get along with. Especially for the more advanced stuff.

Default Boot Time

I would love to see a PC that boots up ready to use in 30-40 secs, please someone make me eat my words..............I am 50 and have used pc's for 20 years +, & DEC Rainbow, ICL Main frames using George systems, and in all those years have never seen one boot up in that short space of time....

Anyway thats bye the bye.....I am really looking froward to getting some info from the users of the forum. The Mac thing was born onl;y weeks ago when i walked into an Apple demo and said "ok guys show me what I cant do on my PC for half the price"........and they did......

I am having real problems at teh moment though waiting for the new FCS 2 as I am trying to run the old version on the MacPro and wow lots of problems. Should be sorted out soon though....

Mark

Blog Entries

"I would love to see a PC that boots up ready to use in 30-40 secs, please someone make me eat my words..............I am 50 and have used pc's for 20 years +, & DEC Rainbow, ICL Main frames using George systems, and in all those years have never seen one boot up in that short space of time...."

Yea I must be a complete fibber....

Now now Mark don't take it like that, I am just getting over the speed of the Mac against all other PC's I have seen. I have pulled my hair out trying to get round the Mac operating system and some of the stuff they have really makes you think in a different way.

I have used the PC's for years and had great fun and they have served me well. Moving over to the Macs has improved my photographic workflow at the studio by about 40%. I do think the HD screen has made a big difference.

I don't want to upset anyone, I am sure I can learn a great deal from you guys on the forum so apologies if I have come over like the complete Pra*t......didn't mean it that way....

Call it quits.....please.......

mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast