Thread: Using Both After Effects and Premiere

Default Using Both After Effects and Premiere

I have bought both Adobe After Effects 7.0 and Adobe Premiere Pro 2. I have been using Premiere to edit my movies, now I'm wondering where does After Effects come in? I mean do I completely edit a movie in Premiere and then export it and then open it up in After Effects? Hence the name after effects? I know After Effects is used for a lot more advance effects but I'm at the point where I need to use them or start learing them.

You should clip bits out of your movie which you want effects on,Export it from premier-Import into AE and add effect. Then export the clip out of AE and import back into premier

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
    You should clip bits out of your movie which you want effects on,Export it from premier-Import into AE and add effect. Then export the clip out of AE and import back into premier
    Ok thanks that makes sense I'll do that.

After Effects is used more for 3D animation.. I'll be honest, I use mainly After Effects to do all my edits.

OK, Here comes Alan to upset the apple-cart....

Integrating Premiere Pro and After Effects and what exactly After Effects should be used for (over PPro) is quite the essay tbh.

There's pretty much nothing you can do in Premiere that you can;t do in After Effects. Some people even preach that certain edits are best done in AE too, rather than Premiere but more on that later.

After Effects in a Motion Graphics and Compositting tool. The general approach is to edit in PPro and then extract small (or big if necessary) clips into AE for applying certain effects and then export the results back to PPro. Sounds easy enough. And it can be if you have the right versions of the tools.

What I mean by that is that there's PPro v2 & AE 7 and then there's PPro v2 & AE7. And they're not equal. The difference is how you bought them. Were they perchased seperately or as part of the Production Studio. If they were bought sperately then you havew two things to fret over.

1) You may well have paid more than you need to; and
    2) You don't get the 'Dynamic Link' tool.

1 - you can discount really. Productin studio is just so much better value, that's all.

2 - Dynamic Link alolows you to have both PPro and AE using the same memory avoiding the need to rerender footage in order to transfer them. i.e you can cut and paste a part of your tijmeline from Ppro to an AE project. Once in there, then ecvery change you make in AE becomes 'live' in your PPro project also.

If you bought sperately then you need to export your Ppro timeline to some lossless filetype. import that into a new AE project, apply effects and then export it out to AVI again and then that get's imported as a new asset into your PPro project.

Once your project in PPro in done then I recommend you export it out lossless and then open that in a enw AE project for colour correcting and balancing. It's better in AE, short of having a really good plugin for PPro, to do you colour treatments as an end pass in AE.

Some peopl epreach that you should import your PPro project into an AE project, preservign all your edits to do yoru final colour treatments. if you do notice that your cross fade are not on the same layer and are implemented as opacity changes i and out. This is for a reason. The 'big boys' preach that colour treatment and balancing should be applied BEFORE your transition. I can appreciate the theory here but not so sure I'll appreciate the difference watching the end result.

Well, I;ve gone on long enough. That's a quick 101 on AE's use on a movie. There's a whoel other essay on AE's use for motion graphics. But that's for another day.

Cheers

thankyou Alan, helped me alot.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 06-25-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: To spell my name correctly

Default After Effects and Premiere Pro- Audio Issues

Hi there,

Does anyone know a good shortcut to preview audio in After effects? I haven't tried the dynamic linking between premiere pro and AE yet so maybe that solves it... not sure. My problem is that when I edit in primere or Final Cut and then export to AE, if it's a large file sometime the audio won't playback properly. It gets really quirky. I've found that sometimes, if I turn off viewing all the layers, and just preview the audio I can create markers for myself on the timeline for key pieces that need to synch, but that's a real pain.

Can anyone shed light on my AE audio issues?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    OK, Here comes Alan to upset the apple-cart....

Integrating Premiere Pro and After Effects and what exactly After Effects should be used for (over PPro) is quite the essay tbh.

There's pretty much nothing you can do in Premiere that you can;t do in After Effects. Some people even preach that certain edits are best done in AE too, rather than Premiere but more on that later.

After Effects in a Motion Graphics and Compositting tool. The general approach is to edit in PPro and then extract small (or big if necessary) clips into AE for applying certain effects and then export the results back to PPro. Sounds easy enough. And it can be if you have the right versions of the tools.

What I mean by that is that there's PPro v2 & AE 7 and then there's PPro v2 & AE7. And they're not equal. The difference is how you bought them. Were they perchased seperately or as part of the Production Studio. If they were bought sperately then you havew two things to fret over.

1) You may well have paid more than you need to; and
    2) You don't get the 'Dynamic Link' tool.

1 - you can discount really. Productin studio is just so much better value, that's all.

2 - Dynamic Link alolows you to have both PPro and AE using the same memory avoiding the need to rerender footage in order to transfer them. i.e you can cut and paste a part of your tijmeline from Ppro to an AE project. Once in there, then ecvery change you make in AE becomes 'live' in your PPro project also.

If you bought sperately then you need to export your Ppro timeline to some lossless filetype. import that into a new AE project, apply effects and then export it out to AVI again and then that get's imported as a new asset into your PPro project.

Once your project in PPro in done then I recommend you export it out lossless and then open that in a enw AE project for colour correcting and balancing. It's better in AE, short of having a really good plugin for PPro, to do you colour treatments as an end pass in AE.

Some peopl epreach that you should import your PPro project into an AE project, preservign all your edits to do yoru final colour treatments. if you do notice that your cross fade are not on the same layer and are implemented as opacity changes i and out. This is for a reason. The 'big boys' preach that colour treatment and balancing should be applied BEFORE your transition. I can appreciate the theory here but not so sure I'll appreciate the difference watching the end result.

Well, I;ve gone on long enough. That's a quick 101 on AE's use on a movie. There's a whoel other essay on AE's use for motion graphics. But that's for another day.

Cheers

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Turner View Post
    Hi there,

Does anyone know a good shortcut to preview audio in After effects? I haven't tried the dynamic linking between premiere pro and AE yet so maybe that solves it... not sure. My problem is that when I edit in primere or Final Cut and then export to AE, if it's a large file sometime the audio won't playback properly. It gets really quirky. I've found that sometimes, if I turn off viewing all the layers, and just preview the audio I can create markers for myself on the timeline for key pieces that need to synch, but that's a real pain.

Can anyone shed light on my AE audio issues?

Thanks!
    Check out this FAQ entry: Adobe Forums: FAQ: How can I play or preview sound (audio)?
    Kevin Monahan
    Sr. Content and Community Lead
    Adobe After Effects - Adobe Premiere Pro
    Adobe Systems, Inc.
    San Francisco, CA